Mesh and Dell

MickyG 16:09 02 Sep 03

I think(!) I've decided between Dell and Mesh for my replacement system. Spending no more than a grand, the Matrix 2800+ seems to be good value. You get less for your money with Dell, but they have a good reputation.

Being new to this forum and reading some comments, I've seen some people complain about Mesh's service when things aren't right.

Does anyone have some good comments, particularly about Mesh ??

Or indeed, any thoughts on systems I might also want to consider.

Thanks all. Mike.

Stuartli 21:13 02 Sep 03

When companies deal with huge numbers of orders annually there are bound to be problems for some customers - components, peripherals etc can go wrong or prove faulty from the start.

The benchmark should be the company that puts things right as quickly and as painlessly as possible - you can count Crucial, Minolta, TDK and others amongst them.

I've heard great praise of both Dell and Mesh and vice versa, but the former outweighs the latter.

Stuartli 21:15 02 Sep 03

PS

It's normally the case that only people who have problems with a company air their complaints - very few bother to let others know if they are delighted.

In a way that is how it should be - quality sales and service should be the norm rather than the exception.

But even a small number of complaints can lead to a false impression of a company or business.

alex 22:03 02 Sep 03

try smaller companies as they offer better service and value for money, try globalpcltd.com

norice 22:08 02 Sep 03

I bought a system from Mesh in July. Had to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive and when it did it didn't work!! After an attempt to fix it on-site failed I decided to send it back for a refund. I have to admit that the Mesh support were quite good all the way through even though I was disappointed that the system was faulty.
Have you considered the Sony PCV-RS222 which is available straight away from PC world or Comet ?

wags 22:12 02 Sep 03

Both Mesh and Dell shift alot of systems and I'm sure you will be fine with either choice of manufacturer. On the whole, Mesh appear to offer a better spec for the money. I have 2 Mesh PCs and have been very happy.

-pops- 11:21 03 Sep 03

If any company was as bad as they appear to be from reading complaints about them, they would have gone out of business years ago.

SEEMOON 11:51 03 Sep 03

Get it in writing from Mesh that they will come out under OSM- they have a tendancy to try to get you to send your PC back, according to another mag that will reamin nameless!

General tips

Check out costs of telephone support

Try to get the name of the highest person in customer care, just in case you ever need it

Put absolutely everything in writing and make time of the essence-vendors tend not to play patsy with people who look like they know what to do if things start going wrong

kevvyb 14:19 03 Sep 03

I have one MESH PC and technically, I am very happy with it.

There has been one issue re compatability with a Brother scanner but that can happen with any machine. In any case it could be the PC or it could well be poorly written Brother scanner drivers (I think the latter). It is the case that every peripheral cannot be tested on every PC prior to sale. Over the year or so that I tried to workaround this problem I have learnt a lot and become quite proficient at sorting my own problems with the help of forums like this one which is excellent. There are many others so you can trawl around if you have a problem and interact with people who seem to really want to help.

My own experience of Dell and Mesh customer support (and I have used both) is that Dell seems far better equipped and organised therefore giving a much less frustrating response. In fact, I would tend to go elsewhere, indeed anywhere, for support before I go to MESH which on the whole, has proved very annoying and usually quite fruitless exercise.

I suppose it comes down to what you want and how experienced you are.

Garthyy 14:43 03 Sep 03

I have had both mesh and dell - mesh win every time. Dell are great for big companies and don't give a monkeys for the people.

bremner 15:37 03 Sep 03

I think you have made the valid points yourself.

Dell = good machine but expensive, not without complaints re after sales service.

Mesh = good machine, excellent value for money, questionable after sales service.

You will in the main get reponses from those who have experienced problems so don't expect to get a particular balanced view point from your request.

Only you know what is most important in making your purchase.

Both companies have many many times more satified customers than those who have experienced problems. It is highly likely you will get a first class machine and no problems which ever you choose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…