Mesh Cubex

Nimai 21:04 06 Oct 03

I got a choice to make between a mesh powerview and mesh cubex...

does anyone know exactly how "portable" the cubex is? i am using it at uni but will be travelling on weekends so will need a "semi-potable" machine. i phoned mesh up and their sales team couldnt give me any dimensions.

i know many people have bad experiences with mesh but i have had a mesh desktop for 3yrs and its done me fine.

any one know about this cubex??

fitfella29 21:35 06 Oct 03

well ive got a shuttle and id imagine the dimensions would be more or less the same as that.

(L)300(W)200(H)185mm

chrishillcoat 22:53 06 Oct 03

Imagine putting a piece of A4 on its side - that's the height and depth. The width is a CD drive plus a bit.

Nimai 23:00 06 Oct 03

thanks a lot..
i reckon its a bit too big too transport???

im considering a mesh powerview instead..
specs P4 2.6 60gb,512mb ram, 64mb radeon 9000, dvd rom/cdrw, etc.....

as opposed to the cubex...
AMD 2800,160gb, 1GB ram, 256Nvdia, dvdrom/cdrw, etc...
same price but bulkier...

now i am going to keep it in my room at university but will take it home on weekends...what is the best option???

Sir Radfordin 23:02 06 Oct 03

If you are going to move it ever weekend (or most weekends) then buy a desktop-replacement laptop. They will be much better suited to being moved around.

tenaka 10:05 07 Oct 03

The cubex will fit in a standard size carrier bag, not that I'd move it around like that and the weight isn't any more than your average shopping bag full of groceries.

I love the cubex case but sometimes wish that it had a handle on the top for more convinience.

Honestly, the shuttle style cases are the best case related thing to come out in ages imho.

pepe 11:54 07 Oct 03

The Mesh cubex uses a Shuttle box. Do a search on Shuttle - they produce tailor made bags for carrying the computer.

tenaka 14:10 07 Oct 03

NICE!!!!!!!!

I want one!

To be honest I wanted the cubex specifically because it's portable and it hasn't let me down.

Having a flat panel helps too, nothing worse than having a portable pc but a cumbersome crt to lug around.

BTW, i stupidly went to google and typed shuttle on it's own, I'm sure you can guess what topics came up.

For anyone else, I found what I wanted using "shuttle PC bag" as the search string.

chrishillcoat 18:39 07 Oct 03

Get your Shuttle goodies from MicroDirect - click here - they're the cheapest in the UK.

Nimai 19:25 07 Oct 03

thanks guys your advice seems to be shifting me towards getting the cubex...now last few questions:

1)the sound of 1gig of ram sounds appealing but i heard that too much ram can cause problems so do i pick 512 or 1024mb?

2) are there any problems with the cubex overheating seeing as its got a lot in it in a small space.

3) 128mb geforce fx5200 OR 256 geforce fx5600se....any noticible difference, (i wont be playin that many games on it)?

thanks

tenaka 10:50 08 Oct 03

Ram shouldn't be an issue. If you can afford 1gb then go for it but 1gb isn't quite the standard entry level yet imo so you would be buying above the average.

The case uses a fan and funnel system that is designed for use with the case and is quite effective.

If you aren't going to play games, I guess it comes down to price as far as the gfx chip is concerned.

tnx for the link chrishillcoat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…