MESH Computer with 18 inch NEC-1860NX TFT

Boluwd 17:30 11 Sep 03

I'm transferring this request from Helproom to this page which is probably more appropriate and hopefully get more responses. (Thanks Djohn!)
I'm evaluating various options for a replacement PC. I need to replace my 3 year old Mesh and I like the look/value of the Matrix 2600+Premier (Computer Buyer Best Buy) with an upgrade to 3000+XP Athlon and an Audigy 2 ZS card and 19" Mitsubishi DPRO 930 CRT. Total price with del+vat of £1160.90. I have been very happy with my old Diamond PRO 710 (17") but it does take a up lot of space on my desk and therefore the 19 incher will be even bigger! I am therefore considering an upgrade to a 18 inch NEC-1860NX TFT ( about an extra £150 on top). Has anyone any experience of this model or indeed can review the Matrix Premier package? I want to be able to enjoy my Colin McRae Rally and Grand Prix 4 at a decent speed. (currently got a 650MHz Athlon Slot A and a good old Voodoo 3 3000 16MB card (optimized of course! with Omega drivers!!!)The new Matrix is an MSI FX 5600 Personal cinema 128 MB card. I have looked at the NEC page and see that it has a 30ms refresh. Is this too low for decent gaming without ghosting? I've read with interest your responses to Bodi's earlier thread. Do I really need to spend an extra £150 to have more room on my desk, will gaming be a dead loss on TFT? What's it to be, gang??

Rayuk 18:23 11 Sep 03

For gaming you need a response time of 25ms or less.
There are quite a few 17" models now out with 16ms response times,and a 17" tft is equivalent to a 19" crt

Examples can be found here
click here

click here

wags 18:51 11 Sep 03

If you are into gaming, you willnot go wrong with the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb. I also have a Daimond Pro 710 and to be quite honest, the 19" CRT, which I have had for about 3 weeks, which came with my new Mesh machine is not much deeper. I have to say it is an excellent image and unless space is really tight, would suggest you go for the Pro 930sb rather than pay extra for the TFT.

Others will take a different view, but this is my opinion based upon seeing the 18" TFT you refer to in action with games and fast moving graphics on a friends Mesh PC and comparing this to my 930. By the way I went for the 128mb FX 5600 Ultra, which is a great card and works very nicely with games.

Boluwd 19:19 11 Sep 03

Rayuk, thanks for the links but I think I'll stick with a CRT as part of the Mesh package otherwise it means forking out for an extra monitor.
Wags- thanks for your input. Which package did you get? The Ultra option is not available on the 2600+ Premier but it comes with the 5600 Personal Cinema. Also did you get the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MoBo, if so do you know whether it is Version 2.00? What's the on board sound like- is it "Soundstorm". I fancy going for the Audigy 2 ZS upgrade. I must admit that an all in price of £1160.90 for my upgrades to the basic £799 package sounds too good to miss. I assume your dealings with Mesh have been favourable so far!

wags 20:41 11 Sep 03

Bol Uwd, I bought the Matrix 2500 + XI, which I upgraded as follows:

Athlon XP 2800+, 1,024 DDR RAM, 120 gb HD (7200rpm 8mb cache), 52X CDRW + sep. DVD,Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930 SB. Price= £1,130 inc VAT and delivery.

I have the Motherboard you mention, but not sure as to version 2.0 or not. The onboard sound is Soundstorm and is very good, esp when coupled with the Creative 5300 surround speakers. This was the only Mesh PC to have the FX5600 Ultra card, which according to reviews is a good value for money card, which should handle the new batch of games to arrive, without giving the bank manager grief.

This is my second Mesh PC. I bought it on the web site and it was delivered on the day advised by Mesh at 9.00 am

I did the usual research and narrowed my choice down to Mesh and Evesham. Mesh offered better value for money and I do not regret the decision. Good luck and go for it !

pcmuncher 20:49 11 Sep 03

Something going on in Taiwan, the TFTs monitors are going up in price, probably by more that 15%, it will affect stores in about 7 days or so.

Anyway why buy a Mesh, when you can build you own MASH - it's always more tastier.

Does anyone know what the support on MESH PC are like, I heard it was none existant.

Boluwd 22:00 11 Sep 03

Thanks Wags. I've compared my spec against the one you bought and for the extra £30 I'm getting a 3000+XP, a DVD recorder, the Audigy card and the Game package so I'm very VERY tempted! I'll give Mesh a ring tomorrow to confirm which version of the MoBo they're using. I also want to know if they supply a PROPER Windows XP installation disc or is it simply a recovery disc.

PCMuncher- I've looked into this too and priced up my spec with online sellers like Dabs, EBuyer etc and at the end of the day you can't compete with the leading manufacturers like Mesh/Evesham etc. For the price of the machine from Mesh, I would still need to find money for a monitor.

wags 22:30 11 Sep 03

Bol Uwd, it sounds like you're getting a great deal. Just goes to show that in a matter of weeks the spec goes up and price comes down ! Oh well....BTW, you get a Windows Recovery disk, which is fairly typical of manfacturers, so I understand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…