Mesh CLAIMS NO FAULT MUST BE HARDWARE! con

MARCOVANELMES 23:24 03 Oct 05

Following the purchase of my MESH machine in APRIL 04 it started blue screening with various Kernal messages and reports of hard disk problems.
Following months of using there on line helpline desk, it was agreed that my Machine should be returned in December before completing this I restored my machine back to factory settings as per their request. On receipt at MESH it was found THAT THERE WAS KNOW HARDWARE FAULT, funny that! with no fault found I had to pay inspection and delivery charges of £75. Within weeks another fault occured with my machine crashing and reporting hard disk problems. It surprised my that the orginal kernal fault had not reoccurred suggesting MESH had fixed / tweak orginal so that they could claim no fault, as I was not using any software differances.
With the new error (hard disk problems) I put it down to software, but I got completly fedup in May / June I start using there on line helpdesk with varios fixes attempted including reformatting with there recovery console, did this and it crashed several times during installation suggesting hardware problems. They agreed that it must have been my motherboard so replaced it at home. Not had any problems since with the same software but they wont reimburse me of my prevous £75, I told them that replacement of this board was clearly a sign that machine was defective, but at time of inspection was not spotted due to it being a intermitant fault or was all along repaired by them?
I have sent a letter, they wont compensate me for my £75 nor the time spent trying to repair it or that the fact it was not fit for purpose.
I completely dissatisfied with the whole saga, my first machine was great funny with the same software as my new one.

Wont be buying from them again.

Any advice on how I can take this further?

josie mayhem 23:41 03 Oct 05

I would speak to the trading standards and the CAB to see what they say, if I'm right if the problem occured before six months, then it can be concidered that it exsisted at the point of manufacturing..

I'm not 100% sure of this, but they will be your best port of call.

Forum Editor 01:24 04 Oct 05

by suggesting that Mesh "had fixed / tweak orginal so that they could claim no fault". You have absolutely no evidence that the company did such a thing, and to suggest it to them over the phone was certainly very unwise.

Based on what you say it's difficult to form an opinion - the machine apparently ran for 'weeks' after it was returned from Mesh, and that tends to suggest a software fault. On the other hand, you say that replacing the motherboard has completely cured the problem, and that you are running the same software as when you had the original trouble.

I doubt that Mesh are under any legal obligation to return your £75 - you accepted the charge at the time. Your best bet is to try to negotiate something with the company, but be courteous - suggesting that they have deliberately lied to you is hardly a good way to start.

HXP 01:53 04 Oct 05

I would ring & ask for the names of the directors of the company ( or get it from their website if poss) & then write a short polite letter asking for them to investigate your complaint.

Keep it factual and above all else don't enter into any threats just explain why you feel they have not acted appropriately. Be business like, be professional, you are dealing with people who do want you to go away a satisfied customer.

I wrote recorded delivery direct to Mehdi Sharafati the MD followed this up with a phone call & asked to speak to his secretary to also advise of my problems and confirm they were in receipt.

After 4 hard weeks I got a full refund on a three times returned 2 month old machine.

Tony Riccardi is General manager just in case.

Registered address
MESH Computers
MESH House
N0. 1 Oxgate Lane
Oxgate Business Centre
London NW2 7JA

HXP

HXP 02:07 04 Oct 05

Sorry meant to add - The Forum editor is right don't make any unsubstatiated claims - just stick to the facts.

I know what it is like to have to chase these things through especially when it's your money and you don't feel you have been treated as you had hoped, so it understandable that you think they have tweaked your machine. I am sure they didn't - if it is similar to my work environment on second line support - you actually do want to find whats wrong and fix it (personal pride in your job, I guess) and I am sure the Mesh support guys are the same.

As I posted above write in and good luck and don't get rattled.

HXP

wee eddie 10:35 04 Oct 05

I don't know whether you noticed......BUT

Breaking a block of Text up into Sentences and Paragraphs, make it much easier to read and understand.

MARCOVANELMES 12:45 04 Oct 05

Having purchased my first Mesh PC some years ago I had no hesitation in using them again . I purchased another MESH PC in April 04 order no 5131320 serial No. 5131320-001, since delivery of this machine I have had nothing but problems.

Since the problems started I have used the online helpdesk, Mesh technical support line, had a site engineer out and sent two letters to your company.

Why has it been unsatisfactory

1. After a few weeks of receiving my new computer I started receiving Blue Kernel error messages which resulted in me loosing unsaved work and having to restart my PC following this Microsoft Crash console suggested Hard drive problems. With this defect, I used the MESH help desk to try to resolve this, my machine was even restored several times to factory condition but the fault still remained. Software problems were unlikely as I had installed only MS office and MSN Messenger,

2. Following the above Kernel I was requested to return my machine to MESH for inspection which I did. On inspection MESH could not find a fault which was very surprising, they suggested software fault, with no fault found I was charged £75 for delivery and inspection charges, my machine was returned to me. The same blue kernel error message did not reappear?

3. With the original Kernel error messages not reappearing , within a few days of use, once again the PC started to prove defective this time different kernel error message with my machine restarting, following restart the Microsoft Crash Console report would again record hard disk problems. I did delay in contacting Mesh as I put it down to software problems as per Mesh’s original findings , but overtime the PC was more randomly crashing, see attached Microsoft Report print. At this point the PC was really annoying me, so once again I was on to the help desk, which resulted in various attempts in repairs including reformatting my PC with clean XP SP2 and no Mesh recovery console. While completing this it was still crashing this pointed to hardware fault as no software was present as the PC hard drive had been reformatted.

4. Following this a site engineer was sent out on Friday the 16th of September, after analysis investigation he diagnosed a faulty motherboard this was successfully replaced; the PC is now in working order with the same software installed and some additional utility programs with no problems.

I used to pride promoting MESH to friends and colleagues as an excellent PC name but this has been turned into
"used to be excellent, but have had a horrid time with my new machine".

I now accept that the machine has been repaired however this does not detract from the cost and hours lost suffering with faulty PC. If I was PC engineer charging for the time spent it would have cost more than the PC was worth.

I would appreciate your investigation and response into this.

Totally-braindead 19:56 04 Oct 05

Well written and to the point I think MARCOVANELMES If you haven't already sent the letter then personally I would be adding something like " Since the PC I bought from you was indeed faulty due to a motherboard problem which your engineer replaced and is now working perfectly, I wish to request a refund of the £75 you charged me when you said there was no fault on the PC, which there clearly was as the new motherboard has completely solved the problem. " Or something similar.

Ivor_Monkey 20:12 04 Oct 05

Contrary to what was said earlier, the fact that you paid the £75 at the time is not signifcant. Any county court is likely to recognise that payment would have been necessary for you to retrieve your goods and would view it as payment made under duress which has no bearing on the validity of your claim.

It is also worth making the following points:

1) Ask Mesh if this their refusal to refund such payments after a fault had been rightly identified was an isolated incident or part of thier company's policy

2) That after sales service is important and their refusal to treat a customer decently loses goodwill. [I for one will be looking elsewhere]..

Good luck

MARCOVANELMES 22:19 04 Oct 05

Letter of complaint to MESH
Having purchased my first Mesh PC some years ago I had no hesitation in using them again . I purchased another MESH PC in April 04 order no 5131320 serial No. 5131320-001, since delivery of this machine I had nothing but problems with it.
Since the problems started I have used the online helpdesk, Mesh technical support line, had a site engineer out and sent two letters to your company.

Why has it been unsatisfactory

1. After a few weeks of receiving my new computer I started receiving Blue Kernel error messages which resulted in me loosing unsaved work and having to restart my PC following this Microsoft Crash console suggested Hard drive problems. With this defect, I used the MESH help desk to try to resolve this, my machine was even restored several times to factory condition but the fault still remained. Software problems were unlikely as I had installed only MS office and MSN Messenger,

2. Following the above Kernel I was requested to return my machine to MESH for inspection which I did. On inspection MESH could not find a fault which was very surprising, they suggested software fault, with no fault found I was charged £75 for delivery and inspection charges, my machine was returned to me. The same blue kernel error message did not reappear?

3. With the original Kernel error messages not reappearing , within a few days of use, once again the PC started to prove defective this time different kernel error message with my machine restarting, following restart the Microsoft Crash Console report would again record hard disk problems. I did delay in contacting Mesh as I put it down to software problems as per Mesh’s original findings , but overtime the PC was more randomly crashing, see attached Microsoft Report print. At this point the PC was really annoying me, so once again I was on to the help desk, which resulted in various attempts in repairs including reformatting my PC with clean XP SP2 and no Mesh recovery console. While completing this it was still crashing this pointed to hardware fault as no software was present as the PC hard drive had been reformatted.

4. Following this a site engineer was sent out on Friday the 16th of September, after analysis investigation he diagnosed a faulty motherboard this was successfully replaced; the PC is now in working order with the same software installed and some additional utility programs with no problems.

5. On further analysis of returned Mesh documentation today it was observed that the fault investigated recorded was not the fault reported by me on your help desk. Fault paperwork shows half memory, this was not a fault, the machine was running with half the memory as per Mesh advice to attempt to rule out memory faults. The PC was returned to inspect reported Kernal Error messages, from the paperwork it is unclear if the Kernal Error messages which were intermittent were investigated, analysed or inspected, or occurred while at Mesh. It would now appear that I have been charged from the wrong inspection?

I used to pride promoting MESH to friends and colleagues as an excellent PC name but this has been turned into "used to be excellent, but have had a horrid time with my new machine".

I now accept that the machine has been repaired however this does not detract from the cost and hours lost suffering with the faulty PC. If I was PC engineer charging for the time spent it would have cost more than the PC was worth.

Taking in to consideration of facts of the computer was continuing to crash blue screen error messages, kernel error messages and the recorded hard disk errors (copy provided), the inspection fault being incorrect and the fact that a faulty motherboard was diagnosed and replaced. I feel that Mesh has been in breach of its contract for failing to reimburse me the inspection and incurred loss (time / money) of a defective PC.

I would appreciate your investigation and response into this. I do wish to improve my level of confidence in Mesh and hope that levels of satisfaction I once had can return.

FatboySlim71 09:56 05 Oct 05

I have had a few blue screen episodes as well with my Mesh PC. The other week I switched it on and it got as far as press F10 to recover, and then would not continue. On ringing their helpdesk at a pound a minute, they told me to put Windows back on, which I did.

I now have no sound because they did not supply my PC with any driver disks, I have been in contact with them asking for them to send me a cd containing the neccessary drivers but am still waiting for a response.

My opinion of Mesh is that they treat their customers like dirt, they are the typical British company that are "too big to care" for the price Mesh PC's are, they are not the best of PC's by a long shot, just put Mesh or Mesh computers into your search engine and you will find many other people out there with complaints.

Also charging a customer one pound a minute to call their helpdesk is just cashing in on a customers problem.

I have now got rid of my Mesh PC and got a Cube PC, they are only a small Yorkshire based firm but they are a totally different firm from Mesh, they actually care about their customers and also if you have a problem you can telephone them (on a standard rate number not a premium rate) and they are friendly and knowledgable people, thats something Mesh would not know anything about.

Cube PC's are top quality because they use the highest quality components, visit their website click here. They are 3 times the PC that Mesh are. My advice to anyone who is thinking of purcahsing a Mesh PC is DON'T, they are unreliable, their aftersales service stinks to high heaven, buy a CUBE PC you will not be dissapointed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…