Mesh charge for rtb?

terryr48 21:23 17 Sep 04

While checking out a mesh advert I noticed that in their terms & conditions (in very small print) after the first 14 days that the purchaser is responsible for all carriage charges, is this the normal practice with all computer manufacturers or just mesh ?
I don't think that I will be buying another mesh just in case it goes wrong on day 15!.

Diodorus Siculus 21:45 17 Sep 04

"is this the normal practice...?"

Some do this, some have "on site" warranty, some have collect and return (esp. laptops) and so forth.

If two thirds constitute the norm as a social scientist once told me, I don't think it is normal. But it happens.

justme 23:19 17 Sep 04

I always understood that rtb (return to base) meant that the owner was responsible for the carriage costs of returning the computer to the supplier who would then fix the fault. The cost of the carriage of returning the repaired computer to the buyer was sometimes down to the supplier and sometimes the owner.

Tim1964 00:00 18 Sep 04

Doesn't the Distance selling regs cover this?

I thought that, if you returned the item within the 7 day 'cooling off' period or at a later stage (if faulty) then the buyer doesn't pay to return the item. On the other hand, if you just 'don't want it' after the 7 days then thats another matter.

Danoh 00:29 18 Sep 04

MESH also provides for a 2-year on-site and 3rd year RTB ~ I paid extra for the 3rd year to be upgraded to on-site as well.

justme, I also have the same understanding of RTB.

terryr48 11:07 18 Sep 04

In reality I wouldn't expect to pay anything (including carriage) for faulty goods to be repaired whatever they are within the warrantey period unless I had caused the fault.

Dorsai 18:44 21 Sep 04

perhaps this is why it's cheaper to buy over the net/from a mag advert.

If you buy from a shop, you take it back to the shop, and the shop pays the carriage. They have to factor the cost of the returns into the cost of the unit, and obviously this cost gets passed on to us, the purchaser. the average carriage charge per unit is a cost, and they add a profit margin ontop.

Not so from the mag/Net, when you pay the carriage.

It's a gamble. Save £100, but be liable to pay £20 each way if it goes wrong (£40).

Danoh 22:46 21 Sep 04

There's usually an option to pay a bit extra for "on-site" warranty. Even then its probably still price-competitive.

But for sheer customer service and quality of advice, there's still the local PC shop. For those who can not cope with a larger companies call-centre or help-desk based service, the local PC shop wins hands-down. Thats the route my Uncle took and he is very happy to pay the extra. He's on his 2nd or 3rd PC from that source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…