Mesh-Buyer Beware

johnben 16:29 15 Dec 08

A lesson in how to lose customers. I purchased a Mesh Computer 4 months ago, a few days ago I was met with just a blinking cursor on the screen after start up. After 1 1/2 hours rooting around inside the computer and trying various boot ups as advised by Mesh Tech Dept (India?) they decided it was probably a defective hard drive and it should be sent back for repair. The following day I received a phone call to state that as I had received the computer 4 months ago (the cut-off is 3 months) I would have to organise and pay for the shipment of goods one way. My moan is after working for Mesh for 1 1/2 hours unpaid, I am then expected to pay for shipment on a fault that could not be put down to any negligence by the user. This is my second Mesh computer and due to their small mindedness and penny pinching it will be my last.

isca2 17:05 15 Dec 08

"The cut off is three months"..Was this the term of any warranty that you had with the system ?

The Brigadier 20:39 15 Dec 08
  spuds 21:24 15 Dec 08

Can you explain more about receiving the computer 4 months ago, and the cut-off is 3 months. Whats this got to do with a possible defective hard-drive?.

johnben 08:08 16 Dec 08

Thanks for the response folks, the 3 months cut off point relates to the carriage of the computer. Less than this Mesh will pay for and organise it both ways. More than this i.e 4 months, then the customer pays for the carriage to the Mesh workshops. I have not yet been able to find the clause in the Mesh Warranty and have emailed Mesh for further details. The 'hard drive' appears to be the defective item which I presume will be repaired/replaced under the standard 12 months guarantee.

johnben 12:37 16 Dec 08

Here's the reference:

Back to Base (BTB) cover:
Computer Base Unit only
If a hardware fault is diagnosed, in the Computer Base Unit, which is the responsibility of the Seller: The Seller will remedy the goods, by the replacement of parts. The Seller will pay the costs of all parts and labour, during the first year of warranty only.The Seller will pay for Courier collection, during the first three months of warranty only after the original delivery date, within mainland United Kingdom only, from the Buyers original delivery address premises, on a working day which has been mutually agreed between the Buyer and the Seller. Day 1 will be the day of delivery. The Buyer will pay for all carriage costs after the first three months of warranty, for delivery to and collection from the Sellers designated service premises. The Buyer will pay for all carriage costs outside mainland United Kingdom, at all times. The Buyer is specifically advised to back up and verify all data on a regular basis and in any event before a remedy under the guarantee. The warranty is limited to the remedy of diagnosed hardware faults, by the Seller.

spuds 20:53 16 Dec 08

After reading that I am slightly baffled, and would suggest that you show the warranty and that particular clause to your local trading standards.

You could also contact Davey at Mesh and see what he suggests.

Forum Editor 00:02 17 Dec 08

means that the company will pay for as courier collection only during the first three months of the warranty period - after that it's up to you to pay the collection fees.

laurie53 08:09 17 Dec 08

Is that legal?

I thought your statutory rights included collection/delivery costs.

The Brigadier 09:13 17 Dec 08

You do get the choice when you buy to get a better warranty, those who choose the most basic one have to pay more to send it back than an upgrade in warranty would have been!

Collect & Return or On-Site out the most popular.

spuds 18:09 17 Dec 08

What, pay to get something less than 6 month old that as a possible faulty hard-drive made 'fit for the purpose'?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now