Mesh

orchard gate 10:01 10 Sep 09

I think I'm realistic about PCs developing faults and the suppliers wanting to control their costs in providing customer support. But having purchased PCs from Gateway, Dell, Evesham and Mesh I have to say that Mesh is undoubtedly the worst supplier I've dealt with.

Mesh clearly use the clause which says if it might be a motherboard fault they have the right to ask for the PC to be returned to them as a dodge to avoid providing onsite support, even when the customer has paid for it and even when they themselves have determined that it is not a motherboard fault causing the problem..

My Mesh computer developed a fault; after much arguing they agreed to send an engineer (who, incidentally, described their customer support as “rubbish”) who diagnosed a graphic card fault and said they’d simply swap the card, requiring one further quick visit.

But Mesh then insisted we return the PC using various ridiculous excuses including “we don’t know how big your graphics card is”, “we don’t have that part in stock” and “we don’t have a record of how big your tower is”.

Eventually I gave in subject to an agreed turnaround time. What followed was a farce which included:

1. them “losing” my PC
2. finding it but damaging the case
3. tearing off the Windows serial number
4. being unable to reinstall Windows because of the missing serial number
5. trying to reinstall Windows using the wrong serial number because the person to whom I read it (three times) using the phonetic alphabet thought “w for whiskey” meant V
6. exceeding the agreed turnaround time fourfold
7. saying they were unable to return the PC as they had run out of packing material
8. charging me for the non-existent packing material, even though I’d taken the day off work and collected the PC myself
9. refusing to pay any compensation for the delay, the damage and the generally inept “service” even though I had paid for an on-site maintenance contract

Throughout their staff were offhand and rude. They would promise to return calls but rarely did. As a result I made over 30 calls to them (on a premium price number).

So here is the result: I’m about to buy a new PC (for £1,500) and it won’t have Mesh on the front of the box. And I’m going to take them to the County Court.

ened 12:25 10 Sep 09
  orchard gate 12:30 10 Sep 09

Maybe but it would be out of keeping with the way the matter has been dealt with by Mesh throughout. Afterall, I wrote what I considered to be a reasonable and fair letter to the Managing Director setting out the littany of things which had occured (many more than I have included above) and suggested I be compensated for delay, poor service and damage done. My letter and subsequent chasers were ignored until I said I intended to issue a claim in the county court at which point they offered to repay the money charged for the packaging which they never used and some of my phone call costs.

Should customers who experience difficulties really be expected to find an Internet forum in order to have them satisfactorily resolved? Should mesh not look to deal properly with customers on every occasion?

It seems an odd way to run a company.

daveeb 13:44 10 Sep 09

My impression (having been a customer and from general comments i've seen) is they appear to have a policy of sending out generally good quality components and hoping they work. If they don't work then they seem to think it doesn't really matter as their customer base is so large.
agree that their customer service (davey excepted) is atrocious.

orchard gate 13:55 10 Sep 09

Yes - components are good quality and build is quite good.

To illustrate your point my PC would not boot the first day it arrived. They were helpful on the phone but wanted me to remove cards, memory chips etc, which I think is a lot to ask of a customer when they have spplied a £2,000 plus PC which doesn't work day one.

961 15:25 10 Sep 09

I've been around the consumer computer market since I first bought from Alan Sugar before Windows 3.1

It seems to me that "on-site" works for business buyers who buy in bulk but that for guys who buy at home or in small business the "on site model" just does not work

Because it is just not economic

I only ever had one site visit from an engineer to fix a problem. (Many years ago) As it happened, it was from Mesh. I had paid for on-site and the guy had travelled about 100 miles round trip. He did not identify the problem (motherboard) and did not have that part with him anyway

From both the buyer and the manufacturer it made entire sense to send the thing back to the manufacturer to test and fix

Where the whole thing fell apart was the faff that was involved to do that. I needed to get a label and that was sent by post (at that time) after which I arranged a courier pick up and.......you know the rest. It took the thick end of a month

I have to say I'm not into that. I just can't be bothered. And I'm not even into business where I rely on the thing working 24/7

Since then, I've built my own, principally so that if the thing goes wrong I can generally fix it myself

Lately, I've bought bog standard from Dell. If it doesn't work out of the box when it arrives, I will reject it and send it back. I have to confess I have never had to do that

But I would never pay for "on-site" again. It just doesn't work in present day conditions unless you have 100 computers in a single location. If you have, they just come and do a swap out

orchard gate 16:37 10 Sep 09

Agreed model doesn't make much sense for Mesh but at the end of the day they too £100 from me to provide the service and then - in effect - refused to do so.

Can you imagine going into M&S, paying over £50 for a pair of shoes and then they refuse to give you the shoes because they can't make a profit at that price but they keep your £50. I think m'learned friends might have something to say about that.

961 17:55 10 Sep 09

I agree with much of that

All I can say is that if you read the t & c for on-site you'll come to the conclusion that it is not quite what you think it is

I wouldn't buy it (on-site) again, for the reasons I stated, and I guess you won't either

I don't think it's a bundle of laughs for the supplier either because margins are wafer thin, but I do believe consumers read in to "on-site" more than the manufacturer intends, or is able, to offer

If it works out of the box, it'll work forever, unless you mess up the software. If it doesn't, send it back and get a refund

orchard gate 18:23 10 Sep 09

I'm a qualified (but not practicing) lawyer so read and understood the T&C's which are actually quite clear I think.

However, what became apparent is that they will rely on the clause which says if it might be the motherboard they can insist on return to base. And as I said they pushed that to a ludicrous extreme in my case because both the technical support staff and the engineer both stated quite plainly that the motherboard had no fault. But they just kept repeating over and over and over again that they had this right and they were going to use it.

So the net is I paid £100 for on-site support which they - in effect - never intended to provide.

I understand your point about wafer thin margins and said at the beginning I understand their need to control costs. But (a) not my problem and (b) they should fulfill their contractual commitments.

In final analysis they were rubbish - laughably inept and insulted my intelligence from start to finish, took my money, didn't provide the service I paid for and even dropped my PC and broke the case. I'm looking forward to laying it all out for the judge to decide what's fair and what's not. They're going to lose, without doubt in my honest opinion.

961 19:24 10 Sep 09

Agree with that too

I guess you're in the same place as me now

Unless you are a major buyer with 100+ units, on site is not worth it for you

Not sure that Mesh is much different from other manufacturers

MESH Support 10:05 11 Sep 09

I am sorry to read that you are unhappy with regards to the level of service you have recently received.

I am unable to comment specifically without seeing your system specification but I would guess your system is one of our older ones as with hard to obtain parts we will often request the system be returned.

Onsites for home users are useful and do occur, I authorised one no more than 15 minutes ago. It is simply easier for those who do not have one when they want one to claim they do not occur, and those who have an onsite ae never likely to go looking for a forum to tell the world that they just had one.

If you want me to review the situation I'll need you to email me your MESH Order number to [email protected] or use the yellow envelope above, but I am fairly confident that if you have been recommended to return the system, that it is with good reason.

Davey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5