medium size laptops

oxparks 00:22 31 Dec 08

i am struggling to find a medium size and weight machine with reasonable spec at the right price. the main problem is price! I work as a journalist and need a machine i can easily transport through airports despite ryanair et al weight restrictions on hand luggage or to use in wifi places. I need it mainly for surfing net quickly,(need fast processor) watching/listening to news channels such as BBC or other international channels so need decent sound quality, needs to cope easily with a couple of programmes open at same time. i also want to be able to watch dvds/cds, use for word processing, + for home photos,

john lewis have 3 models with 12 to 13.5" screens which fit the bill and fall in the right weight category(ie just under 2kg) (I am not into the small 10 or 9" screens as they are too tiring to work with). They are Toshiba Satellite U400-15B, HP Pavilion TX2530EA, and Samsung Q210. It is feasible to have the dvd drive external but prefer integrated if poss which it is in 2 of these models.

the stumbling block is price. all the john lewis models are around the 500 pound mark and no sign of any reduction in post christmas sales! this is outside my budget.

Ebuyer and Tesco have some good deals at the mo like the HP Compaq 6735 or the Acer 5535, both at 399 pounds but weighing in at a hefty 2.5 kgs or more with their 15.4" screens.

Please could you advise?

Thanks

The Brigadier 09:19 31 Dec 08

Go for the Toshiba.
Well made, great support & build quality.

curofone 14:10 31 Dec 08

Your quite unlucky as you fall between netbooks and proper laptops (by that i mean 15" and bigger) and in that range the price and spec really do not seem to match up,

I have to agree with The Brigadier that toshiba seem to make the best machines in this range but you do have to pay what i think is over the odds for them.

I think you are either going to have to comprimise on your screen size ie go down to 10" or compise on your weight and go to around 2.5 to 2.8kg to get a machine with a good spec at a proper price

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…