Medion Titanium MD8383 PC - Freeview channels

Templar1961 20:42 27 Nov 04

I have just set up my Medion MD8383 PC and am happy with most features.

I scanned for digital tv channels and located BBC1,BBC2, BBC3 and BBC News 24. However on my Freeview receiver I can pick up many more channels? Can anyone receive more Freeview channels on their Medion MD8383 PC?

Modo 22:39 27 Nov 04

Join a very large club!

I've been looking at several fora including the dedicated Medion fansite. Nobody seems to be getting over this problem. & let's face it if we can access forums like this we miust be in the top 2% of buyers in terms of sophistication. That 0870 number must be on fire!!

The documentation is rubbish - it is only available by accessing the website of Cyberlink through Power Cinema when the programme is running.

Cyberlink the software provider has a Taiwanese based help line that only way askew of GMT.

Whilst I too can't solve the issue on my machine, I can see that the problem may be that it only scans withing the first terrestrial analog frequency it finds.

Medion must have tested - the machine has been out in Germany for a few weeks now and this issue doesn't even show up on the German websites.

Hopefully someone will post the solution tomorrow. Otherwise if Medion don't provide the answer on their website I suggest we have a coordinated return to Aldi under the "sale of goods act".

Someone must know the answer. Tell us the secret!!!

LOL

Modo

Modo 22:42 27 Nov 04

Join a very large club!

I've been looking at several fora including the dedicated Medion fansite. Nobody seems to be getting over this problem. & let's face it if we can access forums like this we miust be in the top 2% of buyers in terms of sophistication. That 0870 number must be on fire!!

The documentation is rubbish - it is only available by accessing the website of Cyberlink through Power Cinema when the programme is running.

Cyberlink the software provider has a Taiwanese based help line that only way askew of GMT.

Whilst I too can't solve the issue on my machine, I can see that the problem may be that it only scans withing the first terrestrial analog frequency it finds.

Medion must have tested - the machine has been out in Germany for a few weeks now and this issue doesn't even show up on the German websites.

Hopefully someone will post the solution tomorrow. Otherwise if Medion don't provide the answer on their website I suggest we have a coordinated return to Aldi under the "sale of goods act".

Someone must know the answer. Tell us the secret!!!

LOL

Modo

Wilham 23:31 27 Nov 04

The terrestrial digital transmitters are greatly restricted in power, of the order of ten percent of that used in established analog TV channels were are used to. Their ground patterns are not the same.

You may need a second aerial for Freeview, pointing another direction. Best bet bet is to look out for recent additions to masts on nearby rooftops, and check locally.

Some info here.... click here

Wilham 23:59 27 Nov 04

Just checked the link I've given. Opt for lower left hand digital choice, click 'No' if you meet runtime error.

Should get a large table, the line above this you will see...

"If you wish to check your location against the coverage prediction on the DTG site, try here"

Click the 'try here' and you will find advice for your postcode.

Wilham 00:07 28 Nov 04

Or more direct route....click here

Modo 08:56 28 Nov 04

I am 8.7 miles from Crystal Palace you can pick up freeview with a coat hanger here!

The videoh DVD media centre I was using previously was picking up loads of channels, e.g. other BBC & ITV regions than London.

Some people report being able to pick up 8 channels + analogue. But most people report just the five terrestrial channels.

I am pretty sure that the scanner software just isn't scanning the spectrum. It seems to scan the first frequency it finds activity in and then calls it a day.

Nullgrad 09:34 28 Nov 04

It must be the way the TV card scans as my Nebula Digi TV card picks up Freeview with no problem and thats using an ordinary aerial.

saltpeas 17:38 28 Nov 04

I hooked up the house's external TV antenna to the card, did a scan using the Power Cinema software in digital mode (no other software apps running) and got in this order:

ITV1, CH4, ITV2, CBeebies, 701, 702, BBC2, CBBC, News24, BBC1, pricedrop.tv, UKTVGold*, Discovery*, Cartoon Ntw*, bidup.tv, abc1, QVC, five, E4* and ITV3

* means no picture - this is because the channel is part of TopUp TV and encrypted.

Despite being line of site to the broadcast relay transmitter, 'power' is very low and so a normal freeview box requires a signal booster to get all the channels (and these occasionally drop out). There is also a long run of cable across the house from the outlet in the living room to the PC, so this will induce a loss and so probably explains why some channels/multiplex are missing.

I suspect you need to use good quality cabling with a decent antenna to get the PC to receive OK.

Modo 17:50 28 Nov 04

That's easily the best result reported on any forum.

Where are you located?

My software scans until it reaches ITV1, then seems to scan within the ITV frequency. It goes to 100% very slowly indeed after 50% and then moves on leaving the message "Scan Canceled" (sic).

edmo979 20:50 28 Nov 04

Hi 8383 users
I have been told that the 8383 is a very noisy machine
this would possibly put me off buying one
also is graphics card good for new games etc

any observations would be helpfull

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…