Medion notebooks / Staples

Really Nick 19:17 22 May 03

OK - here's my story on Medion notebooks, bought through Staples UK Ltd.

With a budget of £1000, I looked for a fast processor, lots of RAM, dings and dongs, etc and found a medion Cybercom MD 5958 for £999 at Staples hanley. P4 2.4, 512MB, 30GB, onboard vid, XP home, Works 2003, Word, DVD / CDRW, USB2 x 3, IR, firewire, TV-out, 14" tft - i.e not a bad spec at the time - early Dec last year. No immediate problems but complete blue-screen early February when starting computer up. Staples no use - dealt with Medion at national rate who started with the obligatory recovery disc, re-install Windows, etc. No success so it went by courier at their expense, leaving me without notebook for 4 weeks ( despite promise that they'd turn it round in 2 ). Anyway, with a lot of complaining, got a new notebook back with £75 of Staples vouchers which got me a nice Epson 62.

The replacement notebook failed yesterday afternoon but this time I've got all the names of customer services managers, etc and sent faxes off pretty pronto. I also took a lot more notice of the error codes and they pointed to defective RAM. This is after 8 hours of obligatory recovery, re-partitioning and re-installing before somebody with a brain called me from Medion. He offered me an 'upgrade' to Medion MD6488 - P4 2.6, 256 PC2700 ram, 40GB HDD, 15" TFT. So the old doorstop went off this afternoon and I should get the next other unit next week.

In short - products unreliable, Staples terrible, Medion customer service not that bad.

Would I recommend them ? Maybe as a second computer, not something I'd rely on.

spuds 20:02 22 May 03

I have always found Staples very good in the customer services region.Recently I purchased a display Medion Flatscreen monitor from Staples, and Medion would not honour the warranty due to it being 'used'. Staples covered the warranty period from their own resources. click here

spuds 20:08 22 May 03

I have always found Staples to be a customer friendly company, and I have praised them before. My first dealing with Medion direct was another matter. click here

spuds 20:12 22 May 03

Sorry Really Nick for messing up your posting.My first posting vanished into hypospace and returned with an error message,hence 2nd thread (:o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…