medion akoya md96697, Memory capacity?

rickf 08:12 30 Jan 09

NI,
Just bought this and the specs are below. It's got 3gig ram installed. Does anyone know if it will take up to 4gig? Can't find info anywhere. It's not in the booklet about the Laptop nor can I find it in the Medion website.

Official Windows Vista home Premium (preinstalled and on recovery disk)

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5550 (1.83Ghz, 2mb L2 Cache, FSB 667)
Nforce 8600GS Graphics card - DX10 compatable with 512 MB GDDR2 Memory
Hi Def Audio with 2 intergrated Loudspeakers and Subwoofer
17" TFT WXGA display with 1440x900 resolution - 16x10 format
8x Multi-standard DVD-/CD-Writer with DVD-RAM and dual layer support
250GB HDD
3GB DDRII RAM
Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 = 802.11a/b/g
10/100 Ethernet LAN Port
Intergrated Webcam and Microphone
Intergrated Bluetooth 2.0
Intergrated 4 in 1 card reader (SD,MMC,MS,MS Pro)
Notebook carrying Bay
USB Notebook Mouse
External AC Adaptor
LI-Ion Battery
1 year Medion Warranty

Software :

MIcrosoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Microsoft Works 9.0
Nero Burning Rom 8 Essentials
Bullgaurd Internet Security Package

rickf 08:14 30 Jan 09

I know I cxould get in touch with Medion UK but hoping for a quick reply here so I get extra memory tomorrow at comp fair.

rickf 10:27 30 Jan 09

No one? Guess I'll get in touch with Medion.

curofone 19:28 30 Jan 09

It is pretty hard to say as you have missed out the critical bit of information, what bit the os is (either 32 or 64) now i know that medion are now shipping some of there desktops with a 64 bit vista disk so if your laptop came with a 64 bit disk then insatll it and you have around 17billion gig of memory (well you cant as the mobo does not support it)

let assume that you have only 32 bit vista installed and as i am sure you know that a 32 bit os can only take upto 4gb of memory and that includes ram and graphics and as this already has 3gb ram and 512 graphics that means at max 3.5gb of ram will show up in windows and chances are that a few more memory locations are reserved already so i am guessing you will not get a lot over 3gb showing up in windows.

rickf 20:36 30 Jan 09

Hi curofone,
That's really helpful. Disappointment as it's 32bit I think but will double check. Thanks
Having said that it's a really good machine. it's been playing Quake4 w/o any problems.Will Far Cry 2soon. I am realy impressed with the screen, very bright and clear. Battery life a bit disappointing around2.5-3hrs max full charge.
BTW, it shows3gb of ram only on windows. seems to exclude ram on graphics. If you have an inside track to this let us know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…