Media Center PC

JBuckland 20:20 08 Aug 06

I am looking to buy a Media Center Desktop (dosen't have to be SFF) on a budget of around £800 i have tried a few custom sites but have been put-off by a lot of bad feedback of some places. So, I started to look at some desktop offers and tried a few places like Dell and PCworld but i couldnt find anything near the specs I found on the custom-build internet sites.

I was hoping someone has had some experience buying media PC's and could share some feedback with me on certain companies.

Your help is much appreciated.

dontmeshwithme 21:30 08 Aug 06

The are some of the best around click here unsure what the prices are. Do you need a screen, or do you already have an LCD?

JBuckland 21:48 08 Aug 06

I have a 19" CRT monitor which is the size of a house so a new screen isn't a bad idea. Do CRT monitors work with Media Center Edition and television signals? As i have a huge desk and a flat panel might look out of place as im used to having a big monitor.

Woolwell 23:11 08 Aug 06

Try Evesham. My Media Centre Desktop is a little bit noisy (fan) for a living room. I have had no problems.

JBuckland 00:26 09 Aug 06

I've been looking around for some reviews on on MESH computers and ive found some very mixed attitudes, but there quote is very impressive especially with the 19" 8ms response time monitor and the digital/analogue tuner card which offers all the TV features such as recording and rewinding.

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 940 Dual Core
HT Tech.(3.2GHz ,2x 2MB Cache, 800MHz)

Genuine Windows® XP Media Center

ASUS P5LD2-SE Mainboard

1024MB DDR2 Memory 533MHz

300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive

512MB nVIDIA Geforce 7300GS Graphics

19" TFT LCD Display with
DVI, 8ms response time + Speakers

Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer

5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio

Logitech Cordless KB & Optical Mouse

Advantage Warranty-2Yrs Onsite + 1Yr BTB

They qutoed me £890.32 thats with VAT and shipping. Any thoughts on this offer or any ideas on where i could find a better one.

neil79 13:56 09 Aug 06

The company who dontmeshwithme recommends has gone into administration, not exactly sure what is going on with them in terms of if they are still building systems.

I would try Evesham personally, my friend recently bought one and raves about how good they are in terms of service and in particular his system are.

silverous 14:00 09 Aug 06

Make sure whatever you get is designed from ground up as a media center. If it is a pc, with monitor, then the changes are it wasn't and you could then have issues with noise and certainly with the 'look' in your living room. You don't want something that sounds like its about to take off every time you do anything with it!

mahalo 14:10 09 Aug 06

I have an Hp media and the only problem I had at first, I could not get the tv to work. It was solved but disabling Windows Messenger (which I dont use) and it's been fine since I bought it two years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac