Mcafee or Norton?

noelski 15:04 12 Mar 04

Hi People, Should I choose Mcafee or Norton. I want a Firewall and Anti Virus but what other products from these companies are good that I should consider. I'm a first time computer buyer.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:09 12 Mar 04

click here and download AVG free edition anti-virus and click here and download Outopost free firewall. They both cost NOTHING and come highly recommended by many forum members inc. yours truly. Not much point in paying, is there?

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:10 12 Mar 04

Also d/l the free version of Adaware from click here and you will be well tooled up.

G

jerichobob 15:11 12 Mar 04

I've got the Anti-virus and Firewall installed and - so far - I'm virus free.

Norton always does well in comparison tests too so I don't think that either will let you down.

Rob

shifty 16:49 12 Mar 04

Changed from Norton to McAfee after the yearly subscription for live updates ran out. Find the the McAfee a better programme to use. It doesn't cause any problems when I need to do a system restore, Norton had to be un-installed to do a system restore or it would cause problems on re-start.

pj123 16:58 12 Mar 04

Neither. Why pay when you can get good protection for free as per GANDALF <|:-)> links. I have them installed on my computer and have not had any problems.

mdshamilton 17:06 12 Mar 04

I prefer Norton Internet Security which has both the firewall and the virus scanner - it gives you a 3 PC licence too.

wags 17:35 12 Mar 04

Also, could try ZoneAlarm as another FREE firewall.

Demora 22:08 12 Mar 04

Macafee Just screwed up the home network. So AVG and Zonealarm also adaware. Never had any problems with them. PcCillin is ok but the firwall is a bit lacking.

Demora

Belatucadrus 23:43 12 Mar 04

All have their favourite free home use options, I've used AVG & ZoneAlarm, without any problems, but prefer avast! anti virus click here and Kerio firewall click here . Here is another posting on freeware that may be of use click here

JerryJay 00:00 13 Mar 04

The thing I do not like Mcafee is that it starts a few processor and you can not stop them just by simply quit the program.

When I write CD/DVD or edit video, I do not connect to internet (switch off BB router). I want to quite Anti Virus, but I cannot simply quite Mcafee, I have to stop a few processes. I hate complicated program. I use Mcafee because it is provided from my workplace.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced