Maxtor External Hard Drives.

mbp 20:42 23 Jun 04

I would like to know if anyone has had experience with the Maxtor External Hard Drives? Or can you point me to similarly priced drives?

byfordr 20:56 23 Jun 04

Superb! Don't cost that much more than internal drives. Got a 250gb beastie. Firewire slightly slower than usb2 but hogs less resources. Very fast, and looks the part on your desk.

Komplett have some good prices on them at the moment (£172+del 250gb)

HTH

R

keenan 22:27 23 Jun 04

Bought one of these from 'ALDI' at the beginning of this year, used on an almost daily basis & it came with a 3yr warranty. Excellent piece of kit.

Medion MD40308, 7200rpm External 160GB hard disk drive and now available from Medion direct @ £130

click here

danpep5552 10:21 24 Jun 04

I have two, one a 200gb one a 250gb. One push button back up superb. V. easy instalation. Can swop between desk top and laptop with add cables. I firewire the LT and USB2 the DT. Make sure you have USB2 at least (unlike me - had to buy an additional card)

Southernboy 14:22 24 Jun 04

Maxtor USB2 drives were backwards compatible with USB1.1?

I use a 750Mb ZIP Drive (USB2) with my USB1.1 PC and have no complaints about speed. The screen display fairly belts along on backup.

byfordr 14:39 24 Jun 04

They work, but they are really slow. USB2 fastest, then firewire, usb1.1 following a couple of days later.

zzzzzzzzzzz

R

wee eddie 14:59 24 Jun 04

Go for dual connections, Firewire and USB, this could be particularly useful if you are moving from PC to PC.

If you are buying anything over 80Gb, consider creating a couple of smaller partitions.

danpep5552 15:20 24 Jun 04

I had so much to back up it took nearly two days on 1.1. Fraction of the time on USB 2. One touch does the rest now in a few minutes depending on what I have done during the day. I have two drives which the computer recognises as one drive now (did I press the wrong button sometime). My intention was to interchange the units keeping one off site all the time. Cant seem to work out how to do it. I spoke to very helpfull Dantz (Retrospect prog) who called me from France in a very quick response to an email but it went over my head, a combination of technical stuff and the accent. Any ideas?

SEASHANTY 15:50 24 Jun 04

^

mbp 19:02 24 Jun 04

I came across the above at (US$99.95). It looks like the ideal piece of hardware for the average user. However, I cannot locate a supplier in the UK. Does anyone have a UK URL for this item? If not I assume that ordering direct from Maxtor USA is the only solution. Any help here, i.e. is there a European supplier?

thms 19:08 24 Jun 04

Try here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…