Maxtor drives - Why should I pay?

explicitlyrics100 19:28 23 Dec 04

Hi, about 11 months ago, I ordered 4 Maxtor 120gb drives for myself and two friends. The warranty expires on the 30th of this month (December 2004). I have so far sent two drives back, one is waiting to be sent back (they havnt sent me another drive yet) and the fourth has started making funny noises. On all of these drives I have sent back, I have had to pay for shipping (recorded).

So, 3 out of 4 drives have failed (within 1 month of warranty expiring) and a 4th appears like it may fail - although may just make it out of warranty time. The shipping on these drives so far totals £25.

Am I wrong in thinking that I should not have to pay for this? I am never going to buy a Maxtor drive again (I know another person who has had 2 of 3 fail), but I am out of pocket for a bunch of rubbish drives anyway.

Comments please :)

Magik ®© 19:54 23 Dec 04

you must be very unlucky, i got the 200gb maxtor just under two years ago, it has never been switched off, it has been on 24 hours a day. and has never missed a beat.

explicitlyrics100 20:09 23 Dec 04

all of these drives have been on in my machine 24/7 aswell (except when we go on holiday). They are all cooled by a fan between 2 drives.

Their reliability may well have improved, but that doesnt bother me I want my money back! Hehe I do have a case though right?

Gaz 25 08:47 24 Dec 04

Maxtors always seem to fail on me, but a seagate has never, ever failed.

+ IMHO seagate offer better service, all retail drives are shipped with 3 year warranty.

Forum Editor 09:01 24 Dec 04

you should be reimbursed for that if a drive fails inside the warranty period.

To have this many drives fail one after the other is almost unheard of, and I wonder of there is some underlying cause - perhaps the package was subjected to a violent knock, or was dropped. I've never once had a Maxtor drive failure.

In any event, you should apply for a refund of your return costs. Presumably the replacement drives are working OK?

davidg_richmond 09:58 24 Dec 04

My maxtor runs really hot - wonder if that contributes to failure if the case isnt well ventilated? I run mine into a laptop via ide-usb so its in the open air anyway but i can see a stuffy pc causing all sorts of problems.

explicitlyrics100 10:44 24 Dec 04

They could have been damaged in transit, but everything was boxed up nicely in 2inches of foam as maxtor require..

The new drives are working fine for the moment, however they are only under warranty for 30 days so who knows what will happen.

I will always buy Seagate from now on, seem like an infinitely better make (their drives are now 5 year warranty unlike Maxtor which is 1 year!)

Maxtor always ask/give you an RMA you should enquire to Maxtor where you sent the returns on progress quoting the varies RMA numbers maxtor nearly always check out any HDD returned before issuing a replacement As FE has said I also have used Maxtor for many years with no problems just the occasional dying HDD. replacement has never been a problem but I recall that Maxtor did issue a recall of 120G HDDs due to a manufacture problem maybe 2 years ago could be more Could it be you have purchased a batch of these from an dodgy supplier

Exco 12:52 24 Dec 04

I've used Maxtors for years and never had a failure.

Used one Seagate and that failed outside the warranty period but they still sent me a new one which is still being used.

Stuartli 13:09 24 Dec 04

As the FE has hinted there may be more to this than meets the eye.

Too much of a coincidence for so many drives to fail in such a comparatively short time.

It will be interesting, not to say enlightening, to eventually find out if your replacement brand drives suffer the same fate.

Wilham 13:29 24 Dec 04

I am open to correction but about ten years ago IBM introduced a new type of pickup head in their HDD's. Within a couple of years all principal HD makers had adopted the IBM type heads. It led the beginning of multi-GB capacities.

About two years ago IBM introduced liquid-floating bearings in some HDD's. Now that system appears to have been adopted by other manufacturers.

It would be helpful in Consumer Watch forum to know if the failing drives have liquid bearings?

I suggest liquid bearings have an enormous MTBB (mean time before break-down} as used in a server, but are vulnerable to frequent on/off switching.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…