Matrox RTX10 Suite Compatibility

fredzepp 23:48 07 Nov 04

I recently bought the above video capture card after reading great reviews of it in various video editing magazines. What they fail to mention though is that this capture card and software is very, very choosy about what hardware configurations it will work with.

I am running a MESH A64 3400 and according to the
Matrox web site they do not recommend instaling it on this mobo or chipset as it has not been validated (and may never be). Naturally they fail to tell you any of this in the sales literature!

Has anyone succeeded in using this Suite with an A64 I wonder? I daren't try to install it in case I fry the CPU.

Jdoki 16:00 09 Nov 04

I'm not familiar with this product, but it has piqued my interest in finding out why it might not work with your PC.

Could you detail a bit more about your PC specification (motherboard make/model etc).

Also if you have any more specific information on why Matrox claim it might not work with your system. (Incompatibility with components, etc)

I had a quick look at the Matrox web site, but as I'm at work I didn't have enough time to find it (well not before the boss walked by)! So any links would be appreciated.

fredzepp 17:27 09 Nov 04

In the Matrox forums the tech. staff have stated that chipsets based on the AMD 64 processor have not been validated & therefore should not be used with the Matrox rtx10. It appears that a number of people have had problems with this combination of components so I am trying to find out if anyone has used the card without major glitches.

My basic spec is:

Mesh Matrix A64 PC
360W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+
1024mb DDR RAM
200GB serial ATA HD
256mb ATI Radeon 9800XT graphic
SndBlaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard

Matrox claim the incompatibilities are often due to the way in which different motherboards handle
PCI bandwidth when reading from RAM.

fredzepp 17:30 09 Nov 04

sorry, forget to include the mobo in the spec:

ASUS K8V

Jdoki 09:17 10 Nov 04

Unless Matrox has categorically stated that there is a chance you could fry a component, and if they claim that you 'might' get problems I would probably give the card a try in the PC (but that's just me)!

Normally the worst that happens is your machine will not boot, or the card will not work once you get in to Windows. But I am talking generally here.

There's a possibility Matrox are just covering their backsides.

Other than that, as the goods can not be used for the intended purpose, and (if) you were not made aware of incompatibilities before you purchased then you should have no problem getting your money back.

If you haven't already, it might be worth explaining your situation to Matrox, stating that you are unhappy and will be returning the product; this may give them the prod they need to help you out. It's not as if AMD64 CPU's are uncommon!

If the problem lies in the way some motherboards use the PCI bus then they should be able to give you a list of the motherboards they can confirm do/don't work.

Fingers crossed you find a resolution to your problem.

fredzepp 10:21 10 Nov 04

jdoki, thanks for your advice.

I took the plunge and tried installing it yesterday and got the world's supply of error messages, mainly driver related. However,as you say, it hasnt damaged anything and I did a successful restore once i'd removed the card again.

Actually I've decided to keep the bundled software which I can use anyway and sell the hardware on to someone who enjoys the technicalities of building PCs from scratch!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…