Matched Memory - is it worth it?

db0967 18:49 27 Jan 04

I'm speccing up a new PC that I'll use for all sorts of things, including some gaming and flight sim stuff. I'm looking at speccing a PC from Holly and want to go for 1Gb RAM. Is it worth going for a matched pair of 512Mb rather than the default "normal" pair? The price difference is about 38 quid plus VAT.
Any comments appreciated!
DB.

961 19:32 27 Jan 04

I've never spent the extra, and if you buy from someone like Crucial I don't think you need to

Plenty will tell you matched memory is the bees knees but, tell me, have you ever seen a bees knee?

gudgulf 00:05 28 Jan 04

To see bees knees you need a good microscope--which will also be handy when checking spec sheets for your memory!. If the primary function of your pc is gaming then it is probably worth the expense of matched ram---Just make sure of those specs! Look for cas latency 2 and pick a good manufacturer such as Geil or Corsair or Crucial and use the fastest thats compatible with the cpu and motherboard.

gudgulf 00:06 28 Jan 04

PS---Only wish I had the funds to follow my own Advice lol :0)))

db0967 12:54 28 Jan 04

Thanks for the replies. Probably worth the little bit extra I suppose. The difference will no doubt be more psychological than real!
Thanks again,
DB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…