manufacturer warranties Rockdirect

plantzzman 22:41 08 Jan 04

I have been thinking of buying a laptop for a couple of months now and now Christmas has passed have started to check out more websites.
I was just reading the Rockdirect website and my mind boggled at the terms and conditions section-didnt understand a flippin word of it.
How about these bits.
"5.14 The Company does not cover any damage to exterior surfaces however caused"
Does this mean if it arrives scratched and damaged they dont want to know?
"7.1 The risk in the Goods shall pass to the Customer upon delivery to the Customer or consignment by the Company of the Goods to a carrier for delivery to the Customer"
Does this mean once it leaves Rock direct if anything happens to it thats my problem.
And whats all this about?
"7.6 The Customer shall adequately insure the Goods with reputable insurers against all insurance risks from not later than the time of their leaving the premises of the Company and at the same time shall also insure them for the benefit of the Company and the Customer and all other people as may in any way connected with the Goods against all known and insurance risks to persons and property which might in any way arise out of the Goods or their use and such insurance shall be for the invoiced value of the Goods plus five hundred thousand pounds on terms whereby the insurers shall be precluded from any rights of subrogation or other rights whereby they would be capable of claiming against the Company or any if its employees or other persons in any way connected with the Company."
Do PC companies not cover their products when they leave their factory.Surely it is upto Rock to cover insurance for atleast delivery and I would have expected if they trumpet a 3 year warranty which is collect and return insurance should all be part of that.
Out of interest if I did need to cover a laptop for insurance purposes what would be potential costs and how would I go about it?
Is this pretty standard across the industry?
Thanks

Forum Editor 23:26 08 Jan 04

would I agree to such terms. In my opinion when you order goods that have to be delivered to you by courier it's up to the supplier and/or the courier company to accept liability for safe delivery - not you.

Your part of the contract is to pay for the laptop - Rock's is to deliver it to you, and if they aren't prepared to accept responsibility for that they don't deserve your order. Why don't you call them and tell them they can have the order if they waive those conditions, see what they say? Rock make good machines, and sell a lot of them, I doubt it would be the first time they've faced this issue. Most people probably don't bother to read the terms.

As for insurance
click here to find out more

spuds 19:49 09 Jan 04

I think this may come under the terms of 'Unfair Contract', and in a court of law, RockDirect may have some problems in explaining their implied contract.

I think someone mentioned that Dabs had a similar 'when its left our premises, its nothing to do with us'type of clauses in their terms and conditions once. This as now been revised, I believe.

plantzzman 19:08 10 Jan 04

Thanks for the feedback.
I had just been to Rocks website as they are a company Iam thinking of buying from. I had a look at the terms and conditions section of there website and it's put me off rather allot-hence this post to start with.I was wondering if I was somehow mis understanding their terms-they dont sound good terms to me.I mean what next-would the like me to insure the managing directors car for them or pay into the company pension.I plan to contact Rock direct next week-which will be my first contact with them.
Here are a few more snippets.
"5.10 Unless we have a fully completed warranty card, the warranty will be invalid.
5.11 This warranty applies to approved hardware only, and not others or software.
5.12 The product has been officially registered by return of the guarantee registration card or registered online, within 28 days of purchase."
It isnt rocket science once the product has been delivered the warranty should kick in and not depend on warranty cards which can go missing in the post or online registration which may fail to take in your details.
My mind was boggling after reading all the terms and I would imagine others would find the same.

bfoc 19:20 10 Jan 04

As spuds says there may be an 'unfair terms' element in here!

Anyway if you buy direct from them you are covered under the Sale of Goods Act,as amended, and the warranty card issue is irrelevant. If an item fails in the first six months it is the sellers fault unless they can prove they are not liable!

I, like the FE, also doubt that if you pay them to deliver the goods they could claim you must insure them. You are buying the package of the item and delivery from them so it clearly their responsibility.

I'd love to hear what they have to say to justify themselves, also you might like to see what advice their local Trading Standards might give!

spuds 19:22 10 Jan 04

Registering a warranty/guarantee card as nothing to do with the Sales of Goods Act.Rockdirect cannot change the laws of the land.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009