Make my mind up time - power PCs

rampus 13:22 04 Sep 03

I have narrowed my choice down to three machines (Carrera SSC extreme FX / Mesh X-treme 3200+ / Ionix zs pro), but I am a bit out of date with technology and any help is appreciated.

They all seem to be first rate machines and will no doubt do the job. My main questions are:

Processor:

the Carrera uses the 3.2 P4. Is this much better than the Athlon 3200+ used by the other two or is the difference marginal?

Ram:

two of the machines come with 512mb ram. The other has 1024mb. Is the extra really justified - it seems that 512mb of the latest ram should cover most tasks.

Hard Disk:

I am on my fifth PC now and each time that I have upgraded it has been largely prompted by a full disk! The Ionix has two 120gb hard disks working in tandem. Are there any issues / benefits with twin disks? Would I be safer opting for the single 160 / 200 gb disks offered by the others?

Graphics card:

Two of the machines have the GE Force 5900 ultra top of the range spec, while the other offers 128mb ATI radeon 9800 pro. In what ways would I notice the difference in normal use.

Optical drives:

I am really confused here. I want to play video and audio CD's and DVD's use cd and dvd data (software use and loading) discs and record to dvd for back-up - is there any drive that does all of this or do I need multiple drives?

Monitors:

With all of the systems (including the options I have chosen) I get an 18" TFT monitor. Mesh and Ionix supply NEC models (1860nx)and Carrera a Sharp model (T1813B), any views on which of these is the better? I have read a number of posts about "dead pixels". Spending the best part of £2,000 this would annoy me - how real a problem is this?

Price:

All three come out at about the same price after the mods that I have requested.

All and any help or advice is greatly appreciated, especially from anybody that has one of the machines or the components from them.

rampus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now