major problems with Rio

harryganz 20:58 30 Jan 06

My son received a Rio Carbon as a present, which after only a few weeks, seized up. After a long time on the phone to European support, he was told to return it to Rio. However, he was given no address, and no authorisation for a return.
On his behalf, I sent it to the Rio UK address on their website (by registered mail). After two weeks, I heard nothing. I send four e-mails, all of which were unanswered. I then tried to phone them, using the number on their website. However, this number is an incorrect number. I have been uanble to find a phone number, nor for that matter, can I find anything to show their correct address. I called the European support, but they said it was nothing to do with them, and had no details of a UK office.
I therefore faxed the head office in the USA, but received no reply. There is no phone number listed for Rio in the USA--only fax and e-mail.
(I assume there is no phone number, because they could not cope with all the complaints!)

Can you help me at all?????

Many thanks

Harry Ganz
[email protected]

stalion 21:03 30 Jan 06
  stalion 21:08 30 Jan 06

can you contact the person that purchased the present to ask them where it was purchased you may be able to get some re-dress in that direction

realist 21:42 30 Jan 06

Some background here, though they don't make Rio's any more they are supposed to support them
click here

spuds 22:52 30 Jan 06

A number of alternatives for you to consider.

Check with Royal Mail, to check who received the item and when. That should give you some information.

Ask the person who provided the item,and ask them to contact the supplier for further advice.If it was from a UK company, and the item is less than 12 months old, then the purchaser have certain rights under consumer law.

Contact click here for further advice. They may even have a UK address available for warranty repairs.

I note that you have given an email address, I would suggest for safety reasons that you need not provide this. If any member wants to contact you direct, they can use the PCA facility of clicking on the little yellow envelope at the side of your username.

harryganz 09:32 01 Feb 06

Thanks for all your suggestions. Problem is that the item was sent by registered mail to the Rio address on the website. It was signed for , (as far as Royal Mail are concerned, that is the end of the matter). But there is no way of contacting anyone at that address!!!! Not by phone, not by post, not by e-mail!
I have tried contacting D&M Holdings, but they only have Japanese contact details.

spuds 11:25 01 Feb 06

(as far as Royal Mail are concerned, that is the end of the matter). Not quite true, and no doubt Royal Mail have quoted the Data Protection Act in their defense. If the registered letter was sent to a company,or addressed to company secretary/managing director and not an individual like Mr Brown,General Manager,then the Data Protection Act as no bearing on the matter. It is for the Royal Mail to tell you whose signature appeared on their receipt, when and where.Thats is why you paid an extra fee.

I had a similar 'we cannot tell you' incident, a year ago. After contacting one of the postal services advisory organizations, it was surprising how the Royal Mails attitude changed.

gerryp96 23:18 02 Feb 06

harryganz, I agree with spuds, I had something similar when I sent a digital camera back to Casio via recorded delivery, Casio said they didn't receive it but I contacted Royal Mail and they supplied me with the name of the person who signed for it even including the time.
Best of luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…