Mailwasher now crippleware if you don't pay

Jon Storm 12:36 09 Feb 05

Following advice from people here, I have been trying Mailwasher Pro 4.1 (anti-spam). However, although the package says that you can register for free and retain some functionality after the trial, when you try it says that the offer has been withdrawn. Either you pay, or you get a version that can't check or process your email! Not a lot of use.

I like the program so I paid, but it did strike me as a bit of a ripoff to offer it free and then withdraw the offer. I do get a subscription to their antispam database, FirstALert, but I don't really need it - my own dozen or so custom filters catch most stuff. And from what I've seen FirstAlert is a bit flaky. Yesterday it told me that a perfectly legitimate bounce message from one of my mailhosts was "known spam".

Taran 12:43 09 Feb 05

Most businesses reserve the right to change their terms of use of a product and this could be especially so of free/shareware.

I rather like Mailwasher and I think it is well worth the asking price.

I disagree that there was any intention to rip people off. I imagine that the software company have simply decided that the product is now going to be trial and then buy or don't use at all and for a product as good and sueful as it seems to be I have no problem with that arrangement.

You always have the option of not using it, if you don't want to pay for it.

HappySoul 17:46 09 Feb 05

Try Eliminate Spam click here it's free and it works.

Just check the Junk Mail and Quarantine folders occasionally to make sure there is nothing you need e.g. a friend sends mail with a blank subject line.

stalion 23:01 09 Feb 05

this version is still free I use it all the time

stalion 23:01 09 Feb 05
  GANDALF <|:-)> 23:24 09 Feb 05

If people are so worried about spam then paying a small amount would not worry them.

Stuartli 12:39 10 Feb 05

If you ran a business would you give away your goods for free?

It's the paid for products that enables many software companies to issue a free, lite version for basic use.

Jon Storm 15:16 10 Feb 05

I have to have antispam software because I get more than 100 spams per day and otherwise would not be able to find my real mail. I don't mind paying for it as such, in fact I'm happy to support them and would have paid anyway, it's just that I don't like the sales tactic of offering something for free, and then you find that it isn't.

Stuartli 15:23 10 Feb 05

I find that the Junk filter (once trained) in Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail program immediately deletes 98 per cent of unwanted mail successfully.

Jon Storm 17:20 10 Feb 05

It's not hard to filter out most of it, but I resent the scumbags filling my inboxes with their garbage and want to fight back. So I report them, when I have time. Someone has to, it is us they are stealing the reources from in the long run. Mailwasher has a semi-automatic "report to Spamcop" feature, which is very useful, much less time-consuming than doing it manually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…