<£700, Laptop for Design student.

ShadowSeaker 10:11 06 Sep 10

I've been told macbooks are the best for design but they're too pricey.

I'll be using CAD programs i.e 3D/2D design, Adobe Photoshop among others so it needs to be decently powerful.

I'm willing to spend £700 but more in the £600 region would be preferred. I've been looking at thee 'Samsung R780 Notebook - NP-R780-JS08UK' but I really need some good advise.

Thanks in advance!

wee eddie 11:10 06 Sep 10

There are plenty of re-furbished ones out there, and there is no reason why anyone should not know that you have just bought it.

You could have been a Mac User for years for all they know, much kudos could be there.

The Kestrel 16:51 06 Sep 10

Loo at the Dell far right hand side click here. It has the new Intel i5 core (fast), 4Gb of RAM and importantly a separate graphics card, which I would think is essential for what you intend to use it for.

keef66 13:50 09 Sep 10

We got the samsung R710 for our son when he started his product design course at Loughborough 2 years ago. 17" screen, separate graphics, C2D processor, 4GB RAM.

Faultless so far. Reccommend you get a graphics tablet to go with it. (look on Amazon or Ebuyer for a Bamboo Pen at about £50)

Only downsides are that it weighs a ton, and the graphics card chucks out a lot of heat, so don't go sitting it on a bed and blocking the airflow.

john bunyan 17:04 09 Sep 10

I recently bought this from John Lewis, with a 2 Year guarantee:My local repair shop likes Toshiba

click here

john bunyan 17:08 09 Sep 10

Ps I have PS CS5, but use a desktop for finer editing.

ShadowSeaker 17:28 09 Sep 10

@keef66 - Thanks for the input, I'm looking into what seems to be the newer version of the R710, the R780. So far looks very promising. Also the Bamboo pen & pad looks very useful! Thanks again.

john bunyan 17:34 09 Sep 10

The Toshiba has a 5i processor vs 3i on the cheaper R780. Do look at the spec.

ShadowSeaker 17:41 09 Sep 10

@ john bunyan - I do look at the specs. You'll notice that the 5780 has a duel core i3 processor. It also has a larger screen and looks a fair bit better aesthetically. Not that I'm not looking at the Toshiba as well but the Samsung had already come up prior to this post. Thanks again for the responses.

john bunyan 18:18 09 Sep 10

Fine, but I see no mention of "Dual Core" in the spec. I think the 5i Toshiba is worh a look, but your screen size is better, and Samsung is also a very good brand. I liked the 2 year warranty I got from J Lewis and maybe a bit too influenced by my repair man!
Good luck with your choice.

keef66 12:11 10 Sep 10

We now have 3 samsung laptops! The first 2 from John Lewis for the 2 year warranty, but then they stopped stocking them so the third came from Amazon.

@ John Bunyan "My local repair shop likes Toshiba" Do you mean he reccommends them? Or he likes working on them?

Isn't that a bit like saying my dentist likes Haribo?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…