Looking to Upgrade Gaming PC

LeeMarquis 05:56 26 Dec 14

I just wanted some advice on a computer upgrade. I'm going to list all my current parts for my build. I was thinking of getting a new graphics card/power supply. And was wondering if I would also have to upgrade my processor.

Current Parts: Cooler Master HAF 912 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case click here ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card click here Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX click here HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch click here A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard click here G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1600ELK click here XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 click here are just the parts I was worried about maybe conflicting. Was wondering what I would have to replace to upgrade. And how far I could go in upgrading with my current processor and motherboard. When I tried to play Tomb Raider I had some graphical issues. So I can imagine Current games coming out will be pretty rough on my system. (I'm looking to play things like Metal Gear Solid V (Fox Engine) And The Evil Within. Ect.) What kind of advice can you give? Let me know.

ASUS AMD RAIDMAX BIOSTAR Patriot CORSAIR Those

Armchair 17:04 27 Dec 14

The most cost effective upgrade you can make to that PC to improve it's gaming performance is to swap the GTX 460 for something better. 768MB of VRAM just isn't enough for recent games, assuming you intend to game at 1080p.

Your PSU is alright. Your CPU will do for now, unless you intend to play Crysis 3 maxed out. 4GB of RAM is probably sufficient for the moment if it's backed up by a decent graphics card, although I'd prefer to have 8GB installed .

I would consider swapping the 460 for at least an AMD r9 270, which start at about £110. That would give you about an 80% boost in gaming performance, and it has 2GB of VRAM (which is enough for any current game at 1080p).

Better value for money is the r9 280, which I've seen on sale recently for £135. It's about 15% faster than the r9 270, and has 3GB of VRAM. It uses more power, but your PSU should be alright. If you buy an AMD card from certain retailers you also get a choice of games from AMD's Never Settle promotion, making them even better value for money. The 'graphics card of the moment' is the nVidia GTX 970, but they start at about £240.

Hope that helps a bit.

LeeMarquis 16:25 31 Dec 14

Hey! thanks for taking the time to respond!! I really appreciate it.

My PC has 8 gigs of RAM at the moment. So I think i'm pretty good on that front.

So you were suggesting something like this or this?

click here keep looking around for better prices. Seems like computer parts are much cheaper in the UK (Conversion rates aside.) You think I'm good with my current PSU? I've been really worried about it for some reason. I was worried I'd have to gut the whole thing for the upgrade so this is actually something really positive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202112&cmre=amdr9280--14-202-112-_-Product

Gonna

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…