Looking for a TFT

t.long 19:48 16 Mar 05

I am thinking of dropping - not litraly, its very heavy - my 17" CRT. I think that TFTs have now got to a point were the price and performance are good enougth for a wide range of use, plus I will be grateful for the reduced heat out put.

Heres what I am looking for,

I play games, so refresh rates and resolution are important, as is response time.

I somtimes watch DVDs on my computer so it needs to be good with these two.

My VGA card has DVI so I would prefer a DVI interface. Also my case, speakers, keyboard, and mouse are all black so it would be nice if the monitor was to.

I would like a screen size of 17" or 19" and am thinking of spending around £300. Less if possible but somtimes you have to pay for quality :).

I have never brought a TFT before and whilst I think I understand most of whats going on I figure I will get some input from you guys on the forum. Since this is an expensive purchase please feel free to be as patronising as possible, I would rather that than waste money on somthing which is useless. What I would realy like is some recomendations based on personal experiance. Thanks in advance.

wjrt 20:20 16 Mar 05
  jbp1982 20:25 16 Mar 05

Check the policy on dead pixels, my 17inch has 1 dead pixel at the bottom of the screen. It's bugging me just because I know its there. But in the scheme of things you really can't notice it, its that I know about it that is the problem. If that makes any sense.

jbp1982 20:38 16 Mar 05
  TBH1 20:40 16 Mar 05

probably not what your looking for, but for £150

click here

Beas-Knees 21:40 16 Mar 05

IIyama 17" 10 msec click here

t.long 21:48 16 Mar 05

I am looking with some intrest at these,

Hyundai Imagequest L72D+ 17" LCD Monitor

IIyama ProLite E435S-B 17" LCD Monitor - Black

Both from click here

Anyone with experiance of ether?

ade.h 22:10 16 Mar 05

Some customers have been critical of the customer service and after-sales support of the seller that you mention; given the nature of TFTs (with the possibility of some dead pixels at time of purchase and some that can develop over time) this might be a factor in your choice of retailer. Although the pixel issue has improved with advances in manufacturing, it is still a good idea to view/demo your preferred screen instore, as personal preference comes into play.

ade.h 22:11 16 Mar 05

BTW; Iiyama monitors are pretty darn good! I'm looking at one as I type this.

t.long 22:25 16 Mar 05

I have used them in the past and always found them to be good. Mind you I have not had to return anything yet...

Would probably shop around though, click here stock the Iiyama and will normaly price match. From what I have read Iiyama seem to be brilliant panesls whilst on paper they may not match others they seem to make up for it on build quality, and dead pixels seem to be rare ocurance.

philboam 23:00 16 Mar 05

I have the IIYAMA, got it from pcworld when it was on special offer a couple of months ago. I am a gamer and said I would never get a tft but after getting the iiyama there is no way that i would go back to crt monitor. It is brilliant but i was dreading getting a tft because of dead pixels but there are none at all. My 2 mates have also bought the iiyama, also with no dead pixels.No problems at all with gaming.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…