Looking for recommendations for Laptop

katrina.oconnor.568 13:39 15 Mar 05

My current laptop is dying a lingering death (even the system recovery (eek) disk isn't working), and with only 5 months left on a 3 year warranty I'm not sure if it's worth paying to get it fixed... so I'm on the look-out for a new laptop.
I'm not to fussed about that many special features as I don't use it for anything amazing - storing photos, playing games, and surfing the net.

If things haven't changed too much, I'd prefer AMD over Intel, but I think that's about my only specification...

...I'm open to any ideas :)

TomJerry 13:46 15 Mar 05

katrina.oconnor.568 13:50 15 Mar 05

Whoops...

Looking to pay no more than 1000 GBP :)

TomJerry 14:44 15 Mar 05

keenest price with no customer service?

top of pop such as Sony and Toshiba?

TomJerry 14:46 15 Mar 05

Intel's Pentium-M is THE best CPU ever produced. It will hold its position until Sony's Playstation 3 come out next year which use a even super Cell processor

TomJerry 14:48 15 Mar 05

(1) play any latest boy's games?

(2) portable or desktop replacement?

(3) warrenty requirement?

(4) want dvd writer?

(5) screen size?

katrina.oconnor.568 15:02 15 Mar 05

Well... I'm looking for best value with some customer support... though to be fair, I didn't need any support with my current laptop til I DL SP2 for XP home :K

My current laptop is an Advent 7009 (PC world home brand I believe)... so probably looking for something similar.

In answer to your questions...

1) My idea of 'games' are turn based strategy games and I guess the most demanding I have is Age of Mythology (Titans) which I keep strictly one player

2) Desktop replacement - though it has to be (reasonably) portable (I live in Switzerland, and I travel often to the UK to visit family)

3) Warranty preferred, though manufacturers 1 year RTB or point of sale will suffice

4) I'm still trying to get the hang of using CDs as data storage, and will probably not need the capacity of DVD... so no DVD writer essential

5) Current screen size is 15" which is sufficient

And the reason I prefer AMD... I dunno :P I was told that AMD chips were better than Intel... I know nothing about the inner workings of computers and don't know a motherboard from a graphics card... as long as they're adequate it's OK :)

Thanks for your help.

Total Care Support 17:04 15 Mar 05

Hi KOConnor,

This is not meant to come accross as a sales pitch so if it does please accept my apologies.

We do a wide range of both Intel and AMD notebooks, and use the AMD desktop replacement processor in systems like the Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ for only £999 so within the price range you are looking, however to be honest with you that machine would be a bit of over kill for what you discribe as the uses for which the system would be used.

Please take a look at our website click here and if you see something that piques your interest or you have any questions that I can answer for you please drop me a email.

Best regards to all

Daniel Warren

Granville Technology

[email protected]

ade.h 17:52 15 Mar 05

Acer is very good value, though some people have had cause to question reliability and after-sales.

Toshiba is a solid brand, as is Dell. Dell, however, is not quite such good value.

Sony Vaios are nice, but a bit overpriced.

AMD is better for desktops, while the Pentium M is the king of laptop CPUs. Very quick and very efficient, so battery life is generally excellent.

A 15.4" widescreen is worth a look; it creates a fairly compact laptop with a spacious keyboard and decent screen area.

TomJerry 19:32 15 Mar 05

the good thing is that you can see it before you buy it

Can you get VAT refund? You will save 17.5%. Or you can buy it in Dixon airport duty-free shop. Dixon and PC World are the same company.

wjrt 21:41 15 Mar 05

click here

have a look tho no operating system but will include for extra also two year collect and return for £26

also search on google for Fujitsu Amilo 1630D and should come up with Shop Fujitsu Siemens and look at specs and price

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac