looking for a Printer with a parallel port

interzone55 15:15 10 Jun 04

I'm looking for a cheap, small inkjet printer for my wife. She uses an old (ancient?) IBM laptop that doesn't have USB ports.
At the momemt she has an Olivetti JP192 printer, but it's very difficult to find cartridges, and I've refilled her current cartridge several times and it now has a tendency to leak (not nice).

So I'm looking for a small, cheap, parallel port printer. Quality and speed are unimportant.

Anyone any ideas?

wee eddie 17:48 10 Jun 04

The Canon "i" series (well my i850 does) appear to have both parallel and USB ports.

They are not particularly cheap to buy, but because of the separate ink tanks and the relatively low price of each tank, work out with a much lower operating cost.

The difference in capital cost, will be recouped by the time you have bought the second set of tanks for some of the cheaper machines.

interzone55 20:03 10 Jun 04

Thank's for that.
I did check the lower end i Series and they're just USB. The running costs are not terribly important as she doesn't do that much printing, any large jobs are sent across our network to my printer, but she needs a little printer for when my PC isn't switched on (all the wooshy fans and bright lights in my PC scare her, so she doesn't like switching it on).

Another alternative would be a cheap USB enabled print server. Anyone know of one?

ton 22:03 10 Jun 04

Epson C64 is parallel and usb. I recently got one for my brother - under £50 from Ebuyer, cartridges (separate colours) £3-99 from 7dayshop.

TBH1 22:30 10 Jun 04

yep - c64 a very good call, though minimum specs for machine maybe a problem if its an old 'un; think it mentioned minimum 64mb memory though must confess I know someone who runs one on a 32mb system.

Nosmas 22:44 10 Jun 04

I had a Canon S520 which developed a fault that was uneconomical to repair, so have now bought a Canon i865 from click here This model has USB AND Parallel connections. It also uses individual ink cartridges which means you only have to renew one colour when it runs out, unlike some makes that have a tri-colour cartridge which has to be replaced when any one colour runs out. The print quality is excellent for black and white text and superb for photos. Photos can be printed "borderless" and one can print lengthy documents on both sides of the paper.

I found Disking's service excellent - ordered on a Thursday at 13:20 hrs and printer delivered on Friday at 10:00 hrs. Delivery by courier was only £6.99

interzone55 09:05 11 Jun 04

I think I'll take a look at the C64, I've always used Epsons, and find them very cheap to run on compatibles.

The laptop is a P120 with 48Mb ram, I really can't see a printer driver wanting more power than that.

TBH1 10:03 11 Jun 04

just been on Epson site - - yoyr system does fall within the minimum specification, I must have got mixed up with the recommended one.

You won't be disappointed with this printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…