Looking for new PC and WinXP

webdfeet 14:54 08 Aug 08

Our Dell V350 desktop will be ten years old at the end of this year, and although in good heart, is struggling to cope with technology progress. We've decided that probably the time has come to pension it off to the attic (to join three other old-timers). We've never had a day's problem with the machine and have looked again at the Dell desktops on offer, with a view to buying something at the end of the year. The only thing is......Vista. Every company seems to install it now on new pc's and all I've read about Vista is load upon load of trouble.
We use the pc for a mix of home and home-office needs; nothing fancy, but I don't really want to have to chuck out the printer and router if we find they don't work properly under Vista. I also run my own websites and don't want to spend half my time fixing a temperamental Windows OS.
Does anyone still offer XP, or am I going to have to chance my arm... with the option of uninstalling the thing if it all goes pear-shaped?

jack 15:35 08 Aug 08

click here
also
click here

Both of there sell 'System Free' machines and then you can pick up XP to load your self.
Better too -you will have the disk
No messing with recovery partitions and all that malarkey if you need to reload any time.

webdfeet 16:59 08 Aug 08

Aha....I'm looking through those now. I did also wonder whether we might have to go down the build-it-yourself route......not really a problem, I guess.....where would be the best place to get a WinXP disk? I've never actually purchased any OS before, separately from a pc.

jack 17:01 08 Aug 08
  JYPX 18:06 08 Aug 08

webdfeet - If you buy a Novatech pc with Xp pre-installed it will come with an XP OEM disc.

You can still buy a Dell with XP, for example Dell Vostro (the business range, has mimimal extra software, a good thing some might say).

Chillblast and Cougar Extreme both offer a choice of XP or Vista.

webdfeet 20:24 08 Aug 08

OK, many thanks for the input, I can now reorganise my braincells and do some planning (and check the savings!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…