Looking for a new laptop - advice please

jarani 12:26 04 Jun 07

I am looking for a new laptop for my 13 year old granddaughter going to a boarding school this autumn - what do the kids need ? she is not into games in any big way - more msn and such - i will check with the school on their policy vsv computers use - what makes are robust and reliable and which suppliers ? - any advice would be appreciated - jarani

wee eddie 13:51 04 Jun 07

It was a while ago now but I seem to remember that my daughter's school specified a particular model to reduce peer group pressure.

Mark_CCS 14:19 04 Jun 07

A basic laptop will suffice if she's only 13. No point in getting her a business one as it will be outdated by the time she is actually using it fully.

Have a look at laptopsdirect and suchlike. Also Novatech who will give you a good service.

wee eddie 14:38 04 Jun 07

Floppy, CD, USB Pen Drive.

That could be a useful question to ask

wjrt 16:35 04 Jun 07

click here

toshiba are a reputable make and some models like this one might be good for this situation as they have a strengthened casing and shockproofing for the hard drive and a spillproof keyboard. this is only an examp[le and a search might find better supplier or model

jarani 23:05 04 Jun 07

Thank you all for the comments - I will keep reviewing - any more suggestions ? - I am lost on this one - jarani

Totally-braindead 00:58 05 Jun 07

I would initially go with wee eddies suggestion and contact the school, theres no point spending too much on one and there might be a problem with spending too little if you see what I mean.

Ask the school what they recommend or what the typical student uses and start there.

jarani 14:55 14 Jun 07

Mark_CCS - 13 year olds must not be underestimated - they are sharp and knowledgeable in this field - it is hard to keep up with them - jarbie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…