Looking to buy a gaming desktop

dave1772 21:04 01 Jul 09

Hey, this is my first post on this forum and I would like some help.

I am looking for a PC with which I can play games like Mass Effect, Left 4 Dead and Crysis.

I found one on ebay and the seller has listed the specs as following:

Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN) = has the most up to date FIRMWARE F14
CPU= Intel Core 2 E6550
Memory: 2gb of DDR2-800
GPU: BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB) OC2- this is the overclocked version by BFG, which I Bought Last December
Case: Run of the mil case as you can see from the pics below. It comes with 3 - 80mm fans. One on the top one will go in the back and one on the side of the case.
The back of the case can fit a 120mm fan. And i will throw in the fan speed controller fitted on the top of the case. This controls the top fan speed
Power: Corsair VX550 -550 watt
HDD: Maxtor 6V160E0 ATA Device (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
DVD Drive: SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A its a Dual Layer Burner connection via round blue IDE cable
I have an extra 4 usb ports via a pci card in the case.

I would appreciate any help you could offer me, alternatively if this spec is not up to scratch I have a target budget of up to £450 maximum so any suggestions would be welcome. Thankyou for your time.

citadel 21:25 01 Jul 09

its ok as long as you are not paying too much for it, see how games play and upgrade the graphics card if you are not happy.

I am Spartacus 23:24 01 Jul 09

I would say that £300 is expensive for dated components and it isn't clear if you'd get the Windows disk.

crosstrainer 23:26 01 Jul 09

Its not too daunting to build it yourself.

Plenty of members here will help.

For starters try:
click here

And work from there..Case, PSU gpu must be compatible with each other.

Help is always available here :))

Border View 23:44 01 Jul 09

Have you tried looking here click here=

At least you will get some form of warranty. If this particular model doesnt suit have a look around the site. I have used Morgans on many occasions and find them a good site.

Good luck

carver 07:09 02 Jul 09

Shouldn't bother with it, it's got an out of date motherboard, a cpu that very shortly will not be up to running games, those 80mm fans can be as noisy as hell, and a 160Gb hard drive for games is not big enough.

Build you own and get another card to go with that 8800gt and run it in SLI mode.

Case click here

PSU click here

Mobo click here

Hard drive click here

GaT7 14:22 10 Aug 09

If that eBay PC is £300, as I am Spartacus says, then I agree. A max of £200 would be a fair price.

You didn't mention the resolutions you game at, but aim for a minimum of an ATI 4870 / equivalent graphics card. G

ztronicsalien 12:12 11 Aug 09

If you are really interested in a gaming computer and that too a desktop then it is difficult to recommend you a brand. A gaming desktop can be easily built by assembling components of your choice. As far as a gaming laptop is concerned, I don't think you need to look any further than Alienware.

Regards,
ServicedotZtronics,
Ztronics

I am Spartacus 13:17 11 Aug 09

You don't, by the slightest chance, work for Alienware do you?

ztronicsalien 05:25 17 Aug 09

Certainly not. I am not at all working for Alienware. But how did you guess?

Regards,
ServicedotZtronics,
Ztronics

GaT7 18:22 17 Aug 09

"Certainly not. I am not at all working for Alienware. But how did you guess?"

For Ztronics then click here? - 'Alienware Authorized Seller'

Close enough ;-) G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…