LLU conncetion solves my speed problems

BJN 07:07 17 Aug 07

Well just changed ISP from Nildram (Tiscali is now owner of Nildram) time to move onto Sky and my first impressions of Sky Broadband are very good.

last year I tried out the Nildram up to 8mb service via a BT line and the line speed dropped thought the floor. At one stage it was like a dial up connection.I'd had a good steady 2mb connection for 5 years and I finally after a 3 visits from a BT engineer ans an exchange of router from Netgear went back to my 2mb service.

A work college in our company IT department kept trying to save me money by recommending Sky broadband. Icould make a saving of £17 per month if I took the Sky Mid service (up to 8mb and a 40gb download limit £5 per month). I was very reluctant to change to a up to 8mb service due to my previous experience.

I finally bit the bullet and went for the Sky service, Got my MAC code, telephoned Sky. Within 3 days a new Netgear router same model I'd been using for the Nildram service when I had problems. I believe Sky have their own software for the supplied router hence the new router needed .Activation day arrived 10 days after placing my order. Came home my old router still connected showed a green light that the ADSL line was still active, tried to log onto Nidram and it failed so I knew the line had been changed over. I just swapped the router over using same cables connections and after 2 minutes it has looged me onto Sky and I was up and running, it could not have been easier did not have to use supplied CD.

Now for the thing that I really like I now have a steady 4.5mb download connection. Same telephone line and equipment attached to telephone line. The only thing is I'm now on a Sky LLU connection and I'm not going thought the BT equipment at my local exchange, so the question is was there a problem in the past in the exchange that was stopping me from getting a faster connection. BT engineer was total unhelpful with the problem in the past.

So if anyone out there is having similar problems maybe a LLU provider (if your exchange is enabled) could help you increase your speed.

One happy Sky customer here, I know others have had problem with Sky but all ISP's have some unhappy customers.

Credit to Sky where it's due speedy change over and all information and equipment needed arrived and easy install. Now I'm looking into Sky talk to see if I can save more money.

Bj

Dipso 17:53 17 Aug 07

I have Sky TV. There was a lot of bad press when the Sky Broadband service was first introduced so I decided against moving my broadband to them and instead chose Be, another high speed LLU provider.

I have been relatively happy with Be but a few things have come to light which I wasn't aware of before I migrated. Those on the Lite package cannot request their latency to be switched over to fastpath, something that can increase speeds and ping times. Also the Lite package has a slower upload speed which also seems to have an effect on the download speeds, limiting them to ~70% of the connection speed rather than the ~85% of the connection speed I could be getting. My connection is fast enough...most of the time...for my uses, but I feel a little misled.

Sky do seem to have got their act together and I am seriouosly considering them for my next move, will save a few quid and have unlimited bandwidth, but I am in contract until March next year. Hope the service remains reliable until then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos