Linux

userious? 14:26 01 Mar 11

My daughter came back to live with us so I had to sort her old computer out, put in a new hard drive, wireless card, new keyboard and decided, for the first time, to try Linux for the os. I was expecting all kinds of trouble but it went on so easy and everything worked first time, didnt have to find drivers for anything, really chuffed.

johndrew 14:55 01 Mar 11

Well a lot of businesses are going over to Linux on cost grounds and I doubt they would do so if it were a problem.

Well done anyway.

Forum Editor 16:43 01 Mar 11

from Speakers Corner.

octal 20:49 01 Mar 11

I had an auditor in the other day and he had Linux on his lappy, I asked him how he was getting on with it, as I use Linux and he said it works just fine and does everything he needs to do.

I have seen Linux come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years. There was a time when I had to have Windows on another partition so I could run some of my games, I've found a lot of them are now ported onto Linux now, so no need for Windows.

dms_05 08:22 02 Mar 11

Linux is now a genuine choice for most users. A lot of modern hardware is recognised at the installation stage (which is generally very easy). If you try Ubuntu or one of it's clones like Mint then you even have the option of installing inside a Windows partition so don't need to mess around with drive partitioning. However it isn't Windows and you do have to spend a little time getting to know the system but that is well worth the reward.

To see what's available have a look at click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…