Linspire Linux

grumpygramp 10:26 19 Jul 06

Has anyone got any first hand experience of Linespire Linux pleas

dth 21:00 19 Jul 06

There are one or two PCA members who have recommended this distribution of Linux in the past and am sure that they'll be along soon.

phoenix198 21:36 19 Jul 06

I've some experience of Linspire 5.0 snd until very recently had it installed on one of my PCs.

What was it you wanted to ask about?

dth 14:03 20 Jul 06

If you are thinking of perhaps ditching Windows and moving to Linux - there is a good article in this weeks Micro Mart.

(apologies FE)

grumpygramp 15:27 20 Jul 06

phoenix 198 basically is it worth ditching XP for??

phoenix198 16:32 20 Jul 06

Now that's a $64k question, and one to which there is no simple answer (except for rabid anti-MS people for whom OS-2 Warp is probably preferable)

Linspire (just like other Linux distributions) is entirely capable of meeting most computing needs or requirements, be it office type work (Open Office, Star Office), databases (not my thing, but many available), multimedia playback and editing (big choice inclusing abaility to playback WMV, Real Audio and QuickTime files), web surfing, downloads and e-mail (Firefox and Thunderbird available, but plenty of other choices), CD/DVD authoring and burning (many, many choices). The choice of games is not so good although there are lots of puzzle and card type games available.

It installs easily and quite quickly, and gives options to take over a system entirely (deleting whatever OS and files are already there) or install into an empty partition or second hard drive (the option I took). The bespoke to Linspire "Click and Run (CNR)" software download and installation system is just about idiot proof and has a very large range of Linux software available - some good, some not so good!

User Interface takes its cues from Windows although you could adapt this as you see fit. Default settings are perfectly adequate, though.

What might be questionable for you could be hardware compatibility, particularly printers and scanners - Canon and Lexmark products are particularly awkward. You would need to do some research on that. Enabling 3D acceleration for ATI graphics cards is also a bit of a black art, although there is plenty of useful help and advice in the Linspire support forums.

The other possible problem is that while Linspire might look like Windows on the surface, it is VERY different underneath. If you have not used a command line before and are used to relying on a graphical interface you may face a very steep (albeit rewarding in a strange, geeky way) learning curve in order to make your PC get up and dance properly under Linux/Linspire.

My advice? Give it a go either using a 'Live' distribution which won't overwrite your Windows installation, or by installing it onto a second partition or hard drive if you can. If you like it, it is compatible with your hardware and/or you like a challenge, then go for it!

smudge101 21:49 20 Jul 06

I agree with phoenix198, try a live CD or DVD, just bear in mind that it will not run at the speed that it would if installed on your hard drive and you should be able to form an objective opinion.

One of the best, in my opinion, is the latest release of knoppix. click here You also have the ability to easily install to your hard drive with this installation.

If you download the iso file and get stuck you can always give me a shout.

All the best

grumpygramp 11:12 23 Jul 06

Cheers everyone for your input. I think I will give it a try. Nothing like a fresh challenge to keep the old brain cells active.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…