On lines sales and proof of purchase

jack 08:45 08 Sep 09

Having purchased a device on line and signed up to the manufacturers full warranty scheme including on site visits- it seemed reasonable to to contact the manufacturer rather than the vendor when it item stated to act up 8 months on.
The service call was prompt efficient, took details issued a job number, -then came the rub-
Please sent us proof of purchase by Email/Fax/or Post.
ThaThat'sere the trouble dststarteding on on line purchase all the docdocumentationhad waswas thevoice print out. So I scanned it and E-mailed it in - only to recreceiveE-mail in retreturn say such iteitemse not acceptable because " they are editable"[Implying guess that the item could be obtained by devious means and the 'invoice cooked up.'
I got onto the vendor and they saissaidell that is all thiethere
Back to manufmanufacturerthey inistinsistedroper reciereceiptall that was acceptable- And judging by the tone voice of the call centre guy -reading from a sacriscripthe would not budge.
Back to vendor - who suggested that I send the maker my account details and asked them to contact them.
In end after much haggling with the manufacmanufacturer andg a high rez scaresf the print out they conced concedek in an onsite visit.
But what a performance.
So to sum up
If an OnLine sale generates only a downloaded document of proof of purchase, and the manufacturer/ Warranty Company will not accept
such item as legitimate proof what is the next move?
I have had in the past from some firms a formal invoice/reciept included in the packing or separately in the post - but not so in this case.

jack 09:00 08 Sep 09

I am having this extra character part word problem which is still getting in the way of my typing.
-------
Having purchased a device on line and signed up to the manufacturers full warranty scheme including on site visits- it seemed reasonable to to contact the manufacturer rather than the vendor when the item started to act up 8 months on.
The service call was prompt efficient, took details issued a job number, -then came the rub-
Please send us proof of purchase by Email/Fax/or Post.
That's where the trouble started, an online purchase all the documentation I had was the invoice print out.
So I scanned it and E-mailed it in - only to receive E-mail in return saying such items not acceptable because " they are editable"[Implying I guess that the item could be obtained by devious means and the 'invoice cooked up.']
I got onto the vendor and they said that is all there is -the print out
Back to manufacturer they insisted a proper receipt was all that was acceptable- And judging by the tone voice of the call centre guy -reading from a script- would not budge.
Back to vendor - who suggested that I send the maker my account details and asked them to contact them.
In end after much haggling with the manufacturer and a high rez scan of the print out they conceded to book in an onsite visit.
But what a performance.
So to sum up
If an Online sale generates only a downloaded document of proof of purchase, and the manufacturer/ Warranty Company will not accept
such item as legitimate proof what is the next move?
I have had in the past from some firms a formal invoice/receipt included in the packing or separately in the post - but not so in this case.

oresome 10:08 08 Sep 09

I can understand why you went to the manufacturer, but if that route proves difficult, your contract is with the retailer. Give them the problem.

961 10:34 08 Sep 09

Your contract is with the retailer

If you pay by credit card or Visa debit card you can also invoke the card issuers help under s75 in the case of credit cards or chargeback in the case of Visa debit cards

The manufacturer is being difficult, quite apart from the issue of consumer law which requires merely satisfactory proof of purchase. This can include things like credit card receipts, print outs of the web page showing the item, cheque, and the registration of the item under the manufacturers warranty scheme

I take it you know which product not to buy next time

jack 10:54 08 Sep 09

Your comments on this topic are irrelevant.

I am well aacquainted with consumer law and credit card purchasing and all that and respond frequently to other forum users issues.
My comment above relates simply with the issues of providing acceptable proof of purchase with a totally on line purchase, that the warranty people will acaccept
Considerhe facts - warranty maintenance contract is in force with the manufacturer, although in law the seller is first stop-they will only refer to the maintenance provider- the manufacturer
The product was purchased on line -therefore getting it back brings forth new issues,apart from the 'Onsite' element.

jack 12:18 08 Sep 09

A phone call a short while ago making an appointment to for the engineer attend .

The issue of simple acceptance of proof with out going through all sorts of hoops I guess could still be a problem to some.

Spark6 19:57 08 Sep 09

I'm puzzled. You say you signed up for the manufacturer's full warranty cover, did this incur an additional payment? If so, was the payment made to the supplier or the manufacturer, with no receipt?
Would you mind posting the names of the supplier and manufacturer so the rest of us are forewarned.

jack 08:48 09 Sep 09

The Warranty is the manufactures own support site- Samsung- no extra payment- normal 1 year cover.
Seller - in this case is out of the picture as I decided to contact manufacturer support.
So it was they who were being extra cautious.

In a complete reversal of this - another Online purchase went titsup earlier this year - contacted seller by phone-initially, the manufacturer dealt all on the phone no question of providing anything they went by their own records manufacturer and seller working together- This was John Lewis,

Spark6 09:04 09 Sep 09

Thanks for the explanation and another 'thumbs up' for John Lewis. What impressed me with JL was the fact that the Sony television I purchased from them carried their free extended warranty.

ronalddonald 15:01 09 Sep 09

you photcopy it and post by recorded delivery and see it that works

jack 15:30 09 Sep 09

In this electronic age- everything should be 'joined up'

Sales Doc's down the line,proof back up the line.

In the event that is how it worked after much hassle this morning the engineer called and sorted the problem-
At would you believe 0900-on the 09 -09
Howzat?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…