Limited budget tablet with browsing and Skype

john bunyan 22:50 PM 02 Dec 12

My student granddaughter is looking for a modestly priced tablet to be used for web browsing (by wi fi), Skype (Travelling to Egypt soon) and usual music etc. iPad a bit over budget.7'' Nexus any good? Or Kindle Fire - do they use internet? She has a Samsung phone but does not want to trigger web charges.

Kenny01 12:39 PM 03 Dec 12

If your Grand-Daughter is going abroad she would be best advised NOT to carry ANY expensive gadgets as this will make her a target for thieves.

Most civilised countries have Internet cafes and international telephones both of which are inexpensive.

john bunyan 21:49 PM 03 Dec 12

Thanks for replies so far. She is not taking her phone for the reason Kenny01 suggests.

Aitchbee 09:19 AM 04 Dec 12

Have a look at this tablet for £80

Aitchbee 09:22 AM 04 Dec 12
  rdave13 11:41 AM 04 Dec 12

I've just bought two of these for the children for Christmas. Only had a little play with one so I can't really say how good they are. First impression is OK though. Amazon. Ordered 26 Nov and delivered today. The reviews seem to favour it. Good hunting.

Woolwell 17:43 PM 04 Dec 12

She could use Skype on a phone (depending on phone model) but she would have to turn off data roaming whilst out of UK otherwise the charges would be very high. She will need to check on wifi which shouldn't be a problem and that should only incur any hotel charges. The advantage of phone is that it is smaller and therefore easier to take around.

If going a for a tablet then have a look at the Nexus 7 but be aware flash can be a problem on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…