Limited budget for high end PC for digital photography editing

AdeyG 13:42 09 Aug 13

Hi, need some advice for a high end spec desktop pc for heavy duty digital photography editing. File size from D800 camera can be above 36mb each and I am now finding my 4 year old laptop is not coping with editing in Lightroom 4. Looking to spend around £500 but at a push £800 for new machine. Appreciate advice on spec to go for and costs.

john bunyan 16:51 09 Aug 13

See here for Adobe Photoshop minimum requirements:

Adobe computer

In fact a higher spec is better, with as much RAM as you can afford. I only have 4 gig RAM - would like a bit more for when a number of photos are open. Also I prefer 2 hard discs, one can be designated as a scratch disc (can be used for other things too). If you are lucky hssutton will contribute to the thread as a Photoshop guru!.

AdeyG 10:28 10 Aug 13

Cheers John my I5 laptop which has 4gb of ram is now struggling, opens files but struggling to do any editing. Looking at spec with a separate sdd would you use this drive as a scratch disk or install software on this drive?

hssutton 11:46 10 Aug 13

Lightroom 4 has always been a problem running slow, no doubt you've updated to 4.4? You may find some advice here if you don't mind reading in a Canon forum :) Lightroom 4

Since my newish rebuild I don't find it to be to much of a problem. I'm running W7 64bit CPU 15 quad core 3GHz with 16gb ram. My 'C' drive is a 500Gb sata 111 with two SSDs used as scratch disks. However as you don't mention Photoshop a scratch disk will not so important. I found Photoshop CS6 to be dreadfully slow when processing large files (in excess of 100MBs Tiffs) Using SSDs as scratch disks cured my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…