Les 22:07 01 Nov 05

My neighbour was highly pleased when, on someone else's advice he downloaded the LimeWire program. He has downloaded several top quality artists songs and indeed they sound great. However, I'm concerned that what he considers to be free music files just cannot be, for, as I say, they are top artists and songs. Any opinions on how these files could possibly be supplied free - I cannot believe it and fear that he is probably getting himself into trouble of some kind. How does Limewire make a profit, or if someone supplies them with the files - how do they?

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:15 01 Nov 05

He is probably downloading copyright material and not paying for it. The RIAA have already started suing.... click here

Les 22:43 01 Nov 05

He's not paying for it - but, a further question, why is it so easy for him to download them without paying for them - surely the company is asking for trouble in not blocking the files until payment has been offered and received? It would appear, to me, a case of dangling a carrot in front of the 'greedy' and not expect them to try for it - in other words, they appear to openly encourage fellows like my neighbour (always trying to get something for nowt!). I did alert him to the fact that he was asking for trouble, that he really couldn't expect that kind of quality for free (they're hardly demos!!) - but he was so delighted by the music files that I believe he didn't take my warning seriously - in which case he has no-one to blame. I will, however, remind him when next I see him, though, in all honesty I sometimes wonder why I bother! Anyway, Gandalf, thanks for the reply.

kinger 23:17 01 Nov 05

I got fed up with downloading songs from Limewire as many were 'duff' tracks ... empty files or they stopped playing halfway through or were corrupted or contained viruses or weren't the titles they were supposed to be or were poor quality, the list goes on.

I now pay for downloads via 'Napster to go' which is a fantastic system.

Limewire is basically a massive network that many people connect to and share files across. The actual company does not control what people choose to share across their network which is why it is so difficult for law enforcement to bring the program down (it can be compared to selling a photocopier).

As for profit, this is made by advertisements and the option of paying for the 'pro' version.

The people actually distributing the songs are the users, INCLUDING YOUR HUSBAND, who effectively operate on a give and take basis.

PaulB2005 10:09 02 Nov 05

As [email protected] says. Limewire is an on-line equivalent of people swapping copied CDs in the pub. You copy your CDs on to your PC, someone else does the same on theirs and then thousands of people can swap tracks all without any control or payment to the artists.

Warn your neighbour then the ball is in his court.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:42 02 Nov 05

Limewire is a file sharing system that is freely available for all. File sharing or sharing non-copyright songs is not illegal. Sharing copyright songs which I suspect the vast majority of users do, is illegal. If people use it that way it is not Limewires' responsibility. Bit like car manufacturers being sued if a drunk driver in their car kills a pedestrian.

Arnie 11:23 02 Nov 05

Even if all CDs and records are encrypted, the tracks heard through a speaker system or headphones can be recorded.

How is the RIAA or anyone else, going to stop one hooking up a recording device connected to the analogue signal at the speaker/headphone output sockets?

Also, it is well known that some owners of Nicam equipped video recorders, record high quality sound from tv and radio broadcasts purely for the quality audio.

Sony, Philips and other companies who complain about lost revenue on record sales etc. have been producing the machines for many years to allow this.

Les 12:59 02 Nov 05

to all for your input. PaulB2005 - as you say, the ball is in his court. I have, as I said, told him that he is taking a chance downloading many, many files from the site, apparently saving himself a mint in the process - his intention is to install then on an ipod which he is about to buy as a Christmas present for his daughter. I hope he doesn't have reason to regret it - my instinctive reaction is to avoid it like the plague. In his case it is not a question of 'sharing' but of 'taking'!

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:15 02 Nov 05

As has been said many times before most record companies and TV companies turn a blind eye to recording a bought CD for the car or a TV programme for home use. This is NOT the problem. The problem occurs when people start flogging the copies or copying material that they have not purchased. If you owned any copyright material you would understand.

Arnie 17:55 02 Nov 05

People do not need to use P to P sharing per se, to abuse the system.
Non-purchased material can be recorded onto CD or tape by the methods I described and still be swapped with others. (P to P sharing by the backdoor).
In fact I also see plenty of homemade material sold at car boot sales.

Judging by the paltry penalties that courts are handing out for even serious offences nowadays. What will they do to a poor family making a few quid at a car boot sale?
I know it is wrong, but sadly it’s a sign of the times in which we live.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…