Lightscribe

brindly 18:48 17 Dec 10

Some months ago I bought the LG external drive with lightscribe functions. I fanally got arounf to burning a Verbatum DVD disc and duly labeled the face following the instructions. The result was most disappointing, very pale almost coyldn't see it. Went on their site and found there seems to be a problem with DVDs more so than CDs although I haven;t tried a CD yet. They recommend increasing the strenght and re burning the lable, i did that and not much of an improvement. What a rip off, good job I can still use the drive otherwise it would have been a total disaster.

timsmith259 07:15 18 Dec 10

why not use a cd pen, quicker and faster

gengiscant 09:48 18 Dec 10

As tinsmith259 says,use a CD pen. a couple of years or so ago I too got a Light-scribe writer, like you I was disappointed.
It never took off as a viable alternative to a CD pen and not much you can do about it.

Terry Brown 10:29 18 Dec 10

Join the club, I bought a Optiarc Lightscribe DVD (internal), and the results are useless, and the DVD's are dearer.
It's the DVD pen or CD labeler for me now.
Terry

brindly 12:48 18 Dec 10

I am pleased I am not alone. I only bought the lightscribe drive to have an alternative for printing lables. I use my epson stylus R285 printer which is superb and does them in colour. What I also find so exasperating is the fact you can't get hold of Lightscribe directly or even by email, unless you know better. Thanks for your input. Have a Happy Christmas.

OTT_B 14:57 18 Dec 10

I've never had an issue since I worked out that all settings must be on max to get a good output. The quick 'writes' are useless.

ams4127 16:06 18 Dec 10

Must admit I'd forgotten I had one in my machine! Never had any reason to use it because, as others have said, a pen is easier and quicker.

brindly 23:33 18 Dec 10

Yes OTT_B I changed the settings to max and did the burn of the lable twice still not very good, I could hardly see it, I used their latest template labeler, nice templates but they tell you (after you have bought the hardware)that the DVDs have a thicker coating on them which makes the lazer less effective. No I think I will stick to my printer. Thanks for your comments though.

hssutton 00:15 19 Dec 10

I bought an LG lightscribe burner when they first came out, but like most of you I found the results to be rather disapointing. I now use printable disks and get profession results via my Canon MG6150 printer

jakimo 11:21 19 Dec 10

As you have concluded,you will only achieve near perfect results by printing direct on to a blank printable disc,particularly a 'silver' faced disc

brindly 12:27 19 Dec 10

Thanks for that jakimo, they do say on their site that CDs are clearer than DVDs. I might give it a try with CD just to see if they are any better. Just a pity it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009