life of an Epson printer?

timboss 09:02 14 Jul 03

I have just removed my recommendation for Epson printers after having two C40's (C40ux and C40 plus)go down the pan with "parts inside your printer need servicing or replacing"
Both printers were just out of the guarantee, one by 20 days and the other by 40 days.
Epson replaced the first as a good will gesture but directed me to one of their suggested repair centres.
Cost £35 repair, £10 each way for carriage, plus parts, plus vat!
If this is a typical lifespan of an Epson printer it will be my last.
I have withdrawn Epson from my list and now offer Canon and the same price (takes compatibles)

Coaster3 11:06 14 Jul 03

Be careful with Canon. I bought three Canon printers from Ebuyer and two went down within three months. Ebuyer were totally disinterested and I had to pay the postage to sent them back to Canon.

I think you have been unlucky with Epson as I have had two Epson printers over the last five years. The first one got a tremendous amount of use as I print for a charity. The second is now teamed up with a Samsung ML-4500 laser which I would highly recommend at less the £80.00.

Jester2K II 11:59 14 Jul 03

And then lots of peeps have Epson that last for years as did both my Canons..........

Its unfortunate when this sort of thing happens.

Either there is something about they way you use them or where they are located (I VERY much doubt either of those apply here - just pointing out that its a possibility but NOT accusing you of anything) or you are just unlucky and its coincidence.

pj123 21:46 14 Jul 03

I still have an Epson 460 and an Epson 670 working perfectly.

My Epson 670 is still working after 4 yrs.

Nipsen 2 09:12 15 Jul 03

I have a Epson color stylus 640 which I use on windows XP (without the status monitors) I also use compatible inks (various brands) . I have had this printer 5 years, no problems. When it collapses through old age I will get another Epson.

pcwhizz 09:40 15 Jul 03

I've had an epson c62 for over a year now. It has been great for reliability and quality. The only hitch is the cartridges run out faster than any other printer I have bought.

timboss 14:52 15 Jul 03

had another call this morning with an "unspecified fault"
I know this customer well and he does use the printer a lot.

we need an ex engineer from either Epson or one of their agents to explain why errors are not specific or perhaps there is a nvram where codes can be accessed.

marble 19:25 16 Jul 03

.... is seven years old now and goes like a little bomb!

I will be very sorry when it finally gives up the ghost.

(btw - also have a HP Deskjet 500C - about 12 years or so old - still works really great!)

seancblack 16:23 17 Jul 03

I have an original color stylus 400 (7 years old) even though this printer is working fine, I keep it because the ink is so cheap, also have a new lexmark colour printer which sets me back £47 for each colour cartridge.

Sir Radfordin 16:42 17 Jul 03

Experience of the C70 has been awful, have seen so many replaced at work. To be fair however one phone call to Epson and providing its under warranty a replacement is sent out. Rang at 16:50 yesterday and had a replacement on the desk at 13:00 today. Thats good customer service and thats the reason why I'll always look to buy from Epson.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…