Is the licence fee about to get real value?

Sir Radfordin 10:51 03 Mar 04

click here

Talk about copyright minefield!

mole44 10:58 03 Mar 04

mmm,you`ll find the licence fee is to recieve the signal,NOT for the BBC although it goes there,even if you don`t watch BBC as long as you have any sort of tuner to recieve the signal you have to pay licence.look at your licence if you don`t believe me.

spuds 11:01 03 Mar 04

I always like these 'free' things. Wonder were of my licence fee goe's to!.

Sir Radfordin 11:02 03 Mar 04

True...but is it not the BBC who get to see most of the money we pay for the right to recieve the trash that the other channels offer?

Jester2K 13:38 03 Mar 04

"the licence fee is to receive the signal,NOT for the BBC "

Er no. The license fee pays for the BBC - remember its "unique way of funding" ads??

Note click here

The TV licence pays for a wide range of services:

8 national BBC television channels
10 national BBC radio networks
Over 50 local BBC services
High-quality local and national news, debate, documentaries, live music, original drama and entertainment
Childrens' programmes, educational and interactive services, orchestras, concerts, minority language programmes, social action campaigns
Training and support for British production skills and talent in music, drama, film, radio and television

The other 3 get funding from ads.

Jester2K 13:38 03 Mar 04

The TV licence pays for a wide range of services:

8 national BBC television channels
10 national BBC radio networks

Over 50 local BBC services

High-quality local and national news, debate, documentaries, live music, original drama and entertainment

Childrens' programmes, educational and interactive services, orchestras, concerts, minority language programmes, social action campaigns

Training and support for British production skills and talent in music, drama, film, radio and television

The other 3 get funding from ads...

Rigga 13:53 03 Mar 04

Jester2K

Don't forget the absolutely superb web sites they provide!

Rigga.

Rigga 13:54 03 Mar 04

ooops...

Just saw the interactive services bit buried in there...

Still it needed bringing to the front a bit! :-)

Rigga.

Stuartli 16:08 03 Mar 04

Despite your sarcastic thread title, the licence fee is, and always has been, absolutely superb value.

Remembering that the fee first goes to the Government (which of course takes a bit for itself before giving the BBC its budget), your licence payment also confers the right to receive television transmissions (that's why you HAVE to have a TV licence).

Mole44 has the basic principles correct, but gets them the wrong way round - the bulk of your licence fee does, eventually, end up with the BBC, but also includes the annual licence to be able to receive the transmissions whatever the source.

Funnily enough it's the people who fork out £30 or more per month for Sky etc who usually moan the most about the licence fee, yet they can still only watch one programme at a time (from a choice of hundreds) and can't even record another digital one at the same time.

Other moaners include those (sad souls) who sit and watch TV day and night and then complain about the number of repeats - even these people cannot watch ALL the programmes available at any time, even if they only have the five basic terrrestial channels.,,:-)

Sir Radfordin 16:22 03 Mar 04

Having spent the first 15 years of my life without a TV yet still having the benefit of radio via the BBC the fee has always been real value to me :)

But yes, you make valid points and I agree with them. I don't actually have a problem with the fee as it stands though would love to see some more quality programes but there will always be an issue of funds.

Stuartli 16:29 03 Mar 04

For once you have not quite got it right..:-)

As I've pointed out above, only a (substantial) proportion of your TV licence fee goes to the Corporation; how much the licence costs annually is set by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport so it is, in effect, a tax.

People should also remember that a home TV licence doesn't normally qualify use of equipment capable of receiving transmissions at another location.

Even PC TV tuner cards get a mention on the back of the TV licence if I remember correctly (haven't got the licence to hand).

Incidentally, details of TV Licensing can be found at:

click here

You can even pay for your licence via the website....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac