LG GSA-4040B DVD RW, any comments?

wint 19:39 26 Nov 03

I am thinking of buying an LG DVD writer, this particularly because of it's +- and RAM capabilities.

A couple of questions though.

There seems to be a question about it's firmware, users appear to need to "flash" it up to version A300 (from 150something). Is there a danger with this? There used to be horror stories about flashing bios etc & totally ruining a system or device.

On the Micro Direct website click here (as recommended here) there are 2 versions. 1 is OEM and the other is retail at £10 difference. Is it just the fancy packaging or lack of software?

I can't ring them as they are shut for the day.

Thanks in advance

Wint.

scotty 09:40 27 Nov 03

The OEM version does not include the software. However, the software supplied with the 4040B is not highly rated. I suppose the choice depends on what software you already have for using the DVDs. If you do not have any software for writing to DVD them I would suggest the retail version. E-buyer sell this model and their site includes reviews from users which might be worth reading.

click here

Newuser4165 17:44 27 Nov 03

The retail version of my drive -purchased from ebuyer- included Bs writing software which wouldn't work on my system and software from Ulead - MovieFactory 2SE and Videostudio 7SE.Both these latter two pieces of software are quite capable for editing and authoring DVDs.

wint 19:28 28 Nov 03

Thanks scotty & Newuser4165.

I have ordered a retail version of the drive. Worth the extra I think......

I might up-date my Nero vers 5.5 to version 6, see what happens.

Wint

greigas 07:50 29 Nov 03

Thinking of buying this myself for the RAM capabilities as I was going to purchase a Panasonic Dvd player/recorder. However, also heard of problems with software and the possible demise of RAM. I want to buy a DVD player/recorder and DVD rewriter at the same time and want to get the best possible combination. Any comments?

wint 09:53 29 Nov 03

I have looked into this over the last week or two.
I hope DVD RAM isn't going to disappear, it looks like such a useful format (mind you, so did Betamax!). DVD RAM is up & coming on the professional audio front for digital location sound recording. Some devices record to hard disk and then "dump" to DVD RAM (or DVD RW) in the background, so at the end of the day, instead of a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) the "rushes" are sent on DVD.
The LG has had some good write-ups except for it's bundled software which apparently is not very good, I haven't received mine yet so can't comment. The DVD RAM disks are supposed to be good for 100,000 re-writes (as opposed to 10,000 for the RW variety).
Maybe I should buy a bunch of DVD RAM disks in case they disappear! Knowing my luck though, they will drop in price instead!

wint 10:10 29 Nov 03

My "zero" finger got carried away!

DVD RWs (+&-) are capable of 1000 re-writes (not 10,000 as I said).

The DVD RAM is capable of 100,000 though - it says here!

SEASHANTY 12:46 29 Nov 03

All the Panasonic standalone DVD recorders also use DVD-RAM discs so it will not be disappearing. I have just purchased several 4.7 and 9.4GB RAM discs from both Panasonic U.K. and Komplett in Coventry.
These are both caddy type and non caddy type. According to ZDnet forum the LG 4040B will not accept the caddy type RAM discs - you have to use the non-caddy type. (haven't checked this as My retail boxed LG 4040B from Micro Direct is still in the sealed box). ZDnet state that non caddy RAM discs are only good for 1,000 rewrites (the same as DVD-RW). Only the use of the caddy - keeping them virtually sealed when not in the recorder makes the RAM discs re-usable over 100,000 times.

spuds 12:52 29 Nov 03

I know this is not the answer to your question. But I have a LG GCC-4120B CD-RW Recorder & DVD-Rom Reader.Excellent bit of kit.

SEASHANTY 13:05 29 Nov 03

If you intend buying a Panasonic DVD recorder/player suggest you purchase from Techtronics.com based in Lincolnshire. They seem to have the cheapest prices and you can get the DMR-E60 modified for Multi-region play, free delivery by Securicor for £348-50. The one I purchased took just 5 working days to arrive. It plays U.S.A. region 1 discs no problem. Usually record DVD-R on LP which gives excellent pic and four hours recording on a 4.7GB disc. Marvellous.
click here
The Techtronics site is pretty busy and takes a while to load usually (and I am on 600k BB),

wint 19:01 29 Nov 03

Thanks SEASHANTY and spuds, I have ordered some DVD RAM (without the caddy). I can see why they won't last as long, pity.
The prices at click here Blank Disk Shop and click here Rambox both seem pretty good.
That's where I ordered from anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…