Lexmark multifunction printer

BeeWee 17:37 26 Oct 03

i spotted one of these yesterday in a local "cheap shop" model no. x5150. the price was £79.99. i was wondering if anyone has any experience of one of these printers and could therefore advise me whether or not this is a good buy?

Stuartli 19:33 26 Oct 03

dabs has just started selling the Lexmark X75 at £49.99.

But remember that, despite the convenience, the overall standard of each section is unlikely to match that of separate items and, in the event of one failing, the whole unit has to go away for repairs...:-)

BeeWee 20:05 26 Oct 03

separate items would be costly and take up lots of space ... this would be purely for home use. i don't know anything about the x75 or how it compares with the model that i have seen for sale

spuds 22:39 26 Oct 03

I have the Lexmark X5150, and on initial set-up it was very troublesome, but once all the problems were ironed out,I think that it is worth every penny.Mine cost £109.99 less the promo voucher of £20, so it cost £99.99 about two months ago.[Check the box for the £20 send away voucher cash-back offer].

If you purchase the X5150, make sure that you connect your USB cable [which is not supplied] into the USB port on the computer, do not go via a port hub. [You will have problems, like your computer crashing, if you are using XP]. The machine as a Fax button, and the instruction manual makes Faxing look simple [it isn't].You will have to look in the driver cd for this device, which you then have to download from another site download.If you cannot find this Fax extra, do not contact Lexmark, they tell you to get it from CD2,which is for Macintosh format only.You must look in CD1 [it is there, via MY COMPUTER Control page].

The printing that I have done is first rate,and that includes photos, even though the machine is a little 'clunky'whilst printing, but this is a non worry.

Checking the prices for replacement cartridges, can be a little hit and miss.So you may have to shop around.Try 7day shop for the 18L0032[82 Black]and perhaps Lexmark on-line shop for the 18L0042 [83 tri-colour] for best prices.Compatibles are a little harder to locate, but they are there for the looking at favourable prices.

Three/Four months ago the X5150 was selling for £150+, but it as greatly reduced in price within thev last couple of weeks.In general,I am a happy bunny with my Lexmark X5150, a lot better than the X85 multifunction.

Stuartli 22:49 26 Oct 03

All Windows versions (earlier versions used Awfax.exe and wms.exe) and XP, which has its own fax console, offer first class fax facilities.

Because I have dialup I use the Tiscali free fax to e-mail service, a switch caused by the collapse of FaxMe.

If anyone sends you a fax on your dedicated 0871-xxx-xxx number, it comes as an e-mail but with a fax cover page layout.

It's necessary because, as I say, I'm on dialup and wouldn't know if a fax was being sent...

LANDCRUISER 23:14 26 Oct 03

I bought a 5150 lexmark and paid £120 & i thought that was cheap so the price at £66-99 is very good indeed,is it second hand at this price,The lexmark 5150 is very good i found for printing & photos but a bit pricey for refills.

DerekR 00:10 27 Oct 03

But remember that, despite the convenience, the overall standard of each section is unlikely to match that of separate items and, in the event of one failing, the whole unit has to go away for repairs...:-)

Always one of the "glass is half empty" rather than "half full" brigade.... :)

I have a Lexmark X85 multi function - no probs. Ink too expensive, but thats it!

Bald Eagle 01:38 27 Oct 03

I have an X75, no problems. Printing good, scanning good, I don't bother with Fax option.

BeeWee 09:14 27 Oct 03

thank you all for your helpful replies. i think i'll be taking a shopping trip today!!

BeeWee 09:16 27 Oct 03

will now mark this as resolved

davidg_richmond 11:18 27 Oct 03

Multifunction devices often have the same quality of single devices, and most printer manufacturers will swap-out a printer if it is faulty as opposed to fixing it. Some Lexmark devices do not offer stand-alone copying whereas HP/Epson ones tend to. But you will pay more for the convenience of not switching your PC on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…