'Legally' downloading music

matbeard 06:24 02 Feb 03

I'm interested what the general consensus is about this...

If I have lots of LPs (yes... vinyl), but I no longer have my turntable set up in order to play them. So, is it illegal for me to download MP3s of the LPs I already own?

What if some of those LPs aren't in my possession, but they are in storage with a third party?

How about downloading MP3s to replace CDs/LPs that have been purchased and subsequently lost?

Finally, what do people think about downloading music that is not available to be purchased. For example, the country in which I reside has an extremely poor selection of music for sale (if it's not released in the last few years, forget it), which means I simply can't purchase a lot of the music I would like.

If I were to download this music, it would be violating copyright laws, but it certainly wouldn't be depriving artists of any revenue, as I am unable to purchase it legally.

(Don't bring up the Amazon debate... I've tried, and 50% of the packages don't arrive. Not Amazon's fault I'm sure, just a crappy postal service in this country.)

Just some ideas. I'd be interested in your opinions.

powerless 07:12 02 Feb 03

"...So, is it illegal for me to download MP3s of the LPs I already own?" - Yes it is illegal.

"What if some of those LPs aren't in my possession, but they are in storage with a third party?" - Don't know about what you mean by that.

"How about downloading MP3s to replace CDs/LPs that have been purchased and subsequently lost?" - Thats also illegal.

-pops- 07:16 02 Feb 03

Please don't let's have another installment of this regular discussion on the rights and wrongs of copying.

The last episode was about a week ago. If you look back to that you will see people's opinions and also see how these threads often degenerate into a pointless slanging match.

As your question has been more than adequately answered many times in the past, why not tick this as resolved and send a note to the editor to request it is removed.

Brian

whisked 08:52 02 Feb 03

What exactly are you 'legally' allowed to burn onto cd then?? Unsigned bands who have no official copyright and thats all?

If im not misunderstanding this, you cant copy say for example your own cds in your house and obviously 'copyrighted' material on the net seems to be a no-no too, so what else is there????

Whats the difference anyway between this and recording a track off the radio for your own personal use only, which i have always believed to be 'legal' as you are not using it for 'public' consumption.

One thing also about kazaa since i have looked at it, how the hell are you meant to know what is copyrighted or not, or what is legal or not?
As i said last night, give us new people a break, if there were clear guidelines and we still implied or indicated we would download something 'ilegal', then have a go but until there is, how about some leeway for new people like myself?

-pops- 09:22 02 Feb 03

There are numerous discussions on this subject. You don't have to go back in the archives very far to find the information you are asking.

Work on the assumption that if it's published, it's copyrighted. Even by posting this reply I transfer my copyright to PCA and it now belongs to them - see bottom of page:

"All material on this website is copyright © 1999-2003. PC Advisor. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of PC Advisor is prohibited."

The same rules apply to other things, probably moreso.

Brian

watchful 09:23 02 Feb 03

I've never downloaded any music but the whole subject of copyright seems very ambiguous. I was under the impression that you can copy things as long as they're for your own use although how that could be proved I'm not sure.
Haven't seen the previous threads on this subject but no doubt someone could enlighten me as to what exactly can be copied.

-pops- 09:31 02 Feb 03

Here's one. Although the subject is DVDs, the laws are the same. click here

watchful 09:32 02 Feb 03

Thanks for that -pops- so, if I copy your reply from this site and then pass the information on to a third party would I be breaching the copyright laws or would that only apply if I published it?

watchful 09:33 02 Feb 03

Cross-posted there.
Will have a look at your link.

Sir Radfordin™ 09:38 02 Feb 03

Copyright isn't all that complicated really.

Anything that is an original work is copyright protected by the author, or the person who paid for the work to be done. So, if you write a VB programe at work your employer holds the copyright.

It does get complex if you do things in your own time or using your employers equipment as to who holds the copyright, but that doesn't affect most of us.

Copyright prevents the work being copied in any form. The owner of the copyright work can give permission for people to do various things. So, if I write a VB programme then pass it to a friend and say "you can use this but not make copies or pass it to anyone else" they can do that. Or I could say "have this and pass it onto everyone you know." I still hold the copyright but have given permission for the other person to make a copy of it and distribute it.

As far as music is concerned (or films) then you can not make a copy of it in any shape or form. If you own the CD you own the CD and that is it. You can play that CD and lend that CD to whoever you like but you can not make a copy of it. If its an LP the same applies.

That may seem harsh but thats the law.

Sir Radfordin™ 09:38 02 Feb 03

Thats a very brief intorduction to copyright done of the top of my head on a Sunday morning!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…