Legaliy of Dell 90-day warranty

aardvark6 07:31 15 Aug 06

I notice that Dell currently have a 90-day warranty option when ordering a PC or laptop.

Surely this contravenes the Sale of Goods Act in that it would be reasonable to expect a £1k+ computer to last more than 3 months without developing a fault?

Does anyone have any legal knowledge of this issue or, indeed has tested the issue with Dell?

oresome 09:05 15 Aug 06

I think the 90 days refers to the time during which they will collect at their expense.

You would have to pay the carriage cost after this period, but it would be repaired free under warranty for the following 9 months.

anskyber 09:29 15 Aug 06

Yes thats exactly it. aardvark6 there is a difference between a warranty and if you like a 90 day service agreement.

spuds 12:40 15 Aug 06

Your consumer rights are not effected by Dell's 90 day warranty option. The law clearly states that you have full consumer law backing for at least 12 months and possibly 'upto' six years on certain items.

The 90 day option, which you can increase at point of sale, only covers the way Dell charge or administer collection and delivery, should a repair be necessary.

So to answer the question. Dell do not/have not contravened the Sales of Goods Act.

dontmeshwithme 12:47 15 Aug 06

When I looked the 90 day CAR was only available on the business machines and not the home machines. As consumer law does not cover business transactions I would say that Dell only gives a 90 day warrenty and that your statutory rights are not affected as you won't have any. I'd be interested to know what the FE thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced