Is this legal - OEM Bought from abroad?

ajm 20:12 30 Apr 06

A relative will be going soon to Dubai and I have requested him to get for me genuine versions of Windows XP Professional and Office 2003 OEM versions as it is nearly 50 - 60 % cheaper there than over here in the UK.

Will it be OK to install it on a machine here in UK? Will I be able to downloads all the updates from the windows/office update pages?

spuds 20:40 30 Apr 06

interzone55 21:29 30 Apr 06

From experience of the "oem" products available in Dubai and elsewhere in that region I would say that the chances of the software being genuine are extremely slim.

I have a "Genuine" copy of Office 2007 bought in Dubai, I knew it was dodgy but bought it anyway just to see what was actually on the disk, it turned out to be a copy of Office XP SBE.

€dstowe 22:16 30 Apr 06

It will be as genuine as the "Royal" scotch whisky that is available in Japan. States on the label "Real Scotch Whiskey Distilled in Buckingham Palace"

(note there is no "e" in the Scottish spelling of whisky)

Forum Editor 01:57 01 May 06

is yes, provided you are satisfied that the software is indeed genuine, then it will be perfectly OK to install, and you'll be able to download updates etc. just as you would had you purchased the software in the UK.

The problem is going to be your relative's - in deciding whther the software is genuine or not.

WhiteTruckMan 09:12 01 May 06

Will taxes be payable on it for importing it? I only ask as the OP seems concerned about legalities.

ajm 09:21 01 May 06

Thanks for your response. The software is genuine as I have seen the OEM box when he bought one for himself a few months ago. It was very similar to the OEM that are bought here in UK. The disk was genuine with all the holograms. Also the COA was attached on the outer box.

Thanks a lot for the clarification and also to other members for their input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…