Is this Legal??

lex_davies 20:10 15 Nov 03

I'm thinking of getting rid of my cd collection and just keeping the copys i've made. I know it's ok to sell the original, but could i sell the original version of the CD and keep the copy at the same time? Like say if i bought a new CD Make a copy sell the original and keep the copied version? I don't think i will get a court order for that will i?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:40 15 Nov 03

The short answer is no. Even making a backup copy is not legal unless you live in the States. You are then supposed to destroy a backup if you sell the programme/CD on.

G

porci 21:29 15 Nov 03

If you own 10 000 cd's someone may say something, but otherwise no

spuds 21:54 15 Nov 03

When you purchase a cd including a cd-rom, you will usually find that the retailer will refuse to give a refund, if the seal or wrapper as been broken. This is to stop people copying the original, and requesting a later refund, unless of course, it turns out to be faulty.

Copying your own legally purchased original cd, is okay as a back-up, for your use only. But if you sell the original, then you have no claim to have or use the copy.You have given your rights of possession to the new owner.

I would not think, that you will have your door kicked in, in the early hours of the morning,by a person with a legal warrant.Unless of course you have a 'mass production'facility going.

a good friend of mine recently had all his pc stuff taken and investigated. To make matters worse He was also worried about his 'back up' collection of music cds (1000+) He did what Lex is thinking about - ditched his originals & kept his copies, taking up less room. The Squad involved checked his music stuff to make sure what was on them and they've told him whilst they aren't interested in charging him with the music side of things, he can't have them back because they're copies & that's that. They said they would get in touch with FACT is he wishes to dispute... I guess he won't miss the music that much.

Tim1964 00:04 16 Nov 03

With a 1000+ CDs on a hard drive with no originals is putting a great deal of faith in luck !. What about theft of the PC, a house fire or total HDD failure = music all gone. OUCH! It may save space, but isn't that what a loft is for? ;-)

lex_davies 08:05 16 Nov 03

Ok then, what if you give your original CD away? That way you not making a profit on the original and the copy cd so then the authorities have no claim?

Falkyrn 09:06 16 Nov 03

As Gandalf stated in his post in the United Kingdom there is no "right" to make a back up of copyrighted material even for your own use.

Any circumstance where you have possession of a copy and not the original is now a criminal offence (until very recently it was a civil offence) with changes in legislation.

Enforcement of this particular law is another matter but legally (and morally)the answer to your question is NO.

Forum Editor 10:19 16 Nov 03

I don't think we need to debate this at great length.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…