LED lighting for the home

Graham. 23:41 06 Oct 10

I am a big fan of LED lighting, my new bathroom has 9 of them. The Halogen bulbs they replaced were 50W, making 450W. The LEDs are 3W, making 27W.

I recommend warm white for the 'temperature', the Daylight ones just don't look right.

I've found eBay a good source click here, as they are not available in the shops yet.

Compact fluorescent, CFLs, have filled a gap, I feel, but may prove to be short-lived. We have come down from 40W tungsten to 11W CFL, now I have a 1.2W bulb in a floor lamp.

Whilst they are inevitably made in China at the moment, I would love to see a British manufacturer of tungsten bulbs take up the challenge and start producing them here. Perhaps a university team could be set up.

Longhouse 06:57 07 Oct 10

Think you'll find that they've been available in the shops for some time now. I bought a few to try over a year ago in a major DIY store

see here:

click here

chub_tor 10:00 07 Oct 10

Having had a 50W standard halogen GU10 violently explode on me yesterday when I switched on to enter the study, I may well give these a go. Thanks Graham.

Graham. 12:21 07 Oct 10

These sre what I use click here, note free p&p. You want the ones with 3 high brightness LEDs rather than dozens of small ones.

KremmenUK 12:43 07 Oct 10

I have normal energy savers where I can but bedrooms and the lounge still have normal bulbs as I want the remote control dimming facility (and remote control on/off).

I've tried 3 makes of energy saver dimmables and not one lasted longer than a week before failing.

I understand that LED technology will bring dimming back into play and I can't wait...........

Graham. 12:48 07 Oct 10

I have one of these outside and one in a table lamp in the lounge click here. A little expensive but good fun.

Graham. 13:31 07 Oct 10

And dimmable.

Chris the Ancient 14:28 07 Oct 10

o..f LED lamps is the lack of heat prduced.

A true story...

Because of bad design to a caravan, a friend nearly lost it thanks to small halogen bulbs. The manufacturer sited some bulbs in positions rather close to combustible materials. Some signs of heat damage were noticed; but the worst bit was when the caravan caught fire thanks to a halogen bulb being left on in an unattended room! I am pleased to say that nobody was hurt.

Very fortunately, the caravan manufacturer was proved to be negligent in their design (despite warnings of the heat given off by the bulbs from the H&S people) and had the caravan was reinstated back to new at the manufacturer's cost. The same manufacturer has since redesigned that model of caravan (but I don't know if they put out a retrospective warning!) to not include halogen bulbs.

I immediately did an 'elf and safety check in my flat. Three lamps with halogen bulbs - but nowhere near anything combustible! (Unfortunately, not the type of bulb that can be replaced with an LED bulb.)

So, if you have halogen bulbs, look for signs of scorching or overheating in the area of the bulb.

KremmenUK 15:54 07 Oct 10

Thanks for the link but I forgot to mention that I'm running a 150W bulb in the lounge.

I don't think a 4W would be quite sufficient.

Graham. 16:42 07 Oct 10

'(Unfortunately, not the type of bulb that can be replaced with an LED bulb.)'

Most halogen replacement LEDs can be found in my first link, even low voltage ones. You would also need an LED driver for the latter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5