Learner driver car insurance

  Salut 16:48 09 Jan 09

My son is about to start driving lessons, he is 19. Is anyone aware of a good insurance company that deals particularly with learner drivers?

  caccy 16:56 09 Jan 09

Cannot help with an insurance company, but it is now cheaper to get a bank loan and pay the premium than paying the monthly installments.

  Rose 18:38 09 Jan 09

When my daughter had completed a number of driving lessons and just needed more practice before taking her test, I insured her with this company click here for a couple of months. Hope this helps!

  carver 19:24 09 Jan 09

I hope you don't have any heart condition before finding out how much it will cost to insure him.

We bought our daughter a Ford KA to learn to drive in, but it worked out cheaper for my wife to insure it as hers and have my daughter as named driver.

Cost for year £900.

  Cara2 20:50 09 Jan 09

Just a cautionary note about 'named drivers' (ocassional drivers) -

something I heard recently on tv, is that in the event of an accident, insurance is deemed invalid
if the 'named driver' is in fact the main driver, and not the occassional driver the insurance covers.

Hard to explain but couple of instances:

The named driver attends university at the other end of the country. Obviously that make them the main driver and not an ocassional driver, and as such, insurance premiums should have been higher.

The policy holder appears to have more than one car insured. The circumstances would be queried as to who really is the main driver and who is the ocassional driver.

The consequence is far reaching. The policy would be cancelled. This would have to be declared by the policy holder when taking out future insurances. (One of the questions is "have you ever had a policy cancelled?").

The named driver would not have actually been insured and the obvious consequences would ensue.

Not sure if I have explained it properly, but I know the item on the tv really made me think twice.


  karmgord 21:21 09 Jan 09

Caver what you are doing is called fronting and is illegal,in the event of a serious accident you will find you are uninsured

  spuds 22:55 09 Jan 09

A number of insurance companies have become very cautious about 'named drivers' especially if they are of low age or learner category. Best to make 100% sure that the insurance company knows your intentions, because wrong information will invalidate an insurance policy.

On my present insurance, I can have 'named drivers' but the premium will reflect on age and experience plus extra/higher 'excess' rates if making a claim.

  ronalddonald 00:01 10 Jan 09

going to broker than an insurance company. Go the yellow pages and ring the insurance companies that free phone numbers and c how much they will quote.

Beware if you try to go for a quote on the internet you initially be given one quote and the when you go back to the them they have increased the premium.

  Si_L 00:25 10 Jan 09

Just a year ago when I was learning, the best quote I got was from Tesco, though Direct Line had a good one too.

  Salut 15:06 11 Jan 09

Many thanks for all your comments.

I am sadly aware that I will have to pay over the odds. That said, as I get into my dotage, at least I know I will be able to call on him for a lift to get my pension...


  carver 20:40 11 Jan 09

Before you accuse me or my wife of doing anything illegal read my posting correctly.

I said that my wife has insured it for herself and my daughter has driving lessons in it.

She has no full licence so how can she drive on her own.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…