LCD TV's and AVI files

morris948 20:34 03 Oct 09

Does anyone know if there are LCD TV's that can play AVI and MPG files form the built in USB ports on these TV's.
Whenever i ask the shop staff, they say they can only view photos.

BRYNIT 21:04 03 Oct 09

As far as I know a TV on its own will not play AVI/MPG files directly from a USB connection it will only show photos. You would need a media player to be able to play the AVI/MPG files click here

rdave13 00:39 04 Oct 09

Convert them to DVD using software. Run through a DVD player to your TV.

interzone55 16:22 04 Oct 09

I'm pretty sure the USB ports on most TVs are merely for software updates.

I know the port on my LG tv and my sister's new Samsung TV are both marked "Service".

GaT7 17:29 04 Oct 09

Might depend on the manufacturer & model. E.g. this Goodmans LCD TV click here will play MPEG4 files:

"View photos, MPEG4 files via SD/ MMC slot or USB socket"

And this Toshiba click here, DivX files via USB:

"USB (JPEG Viewer, MP3, DivX) - Yes"

And finally from a user review of some Samsung TVs click here:

"With regard to plugging in a USB harddisk, the surprising news is that can plug in up to 2 disks, 1 in each USB port. The TV recognises each drive and will let you select between them for browsing. FAT, FAT32 and NTFS formatted drives are recognised.

From the USB hard disk, the TV appears to play just about everything I have thrown at it so far including MP4, MKV, and AVIs up to 1080p.
Playback is mostly flawless (although the killa clip does not play successfully). Only a couple of files have failed due to unsupported audio format. This seems to be related to the audio encoding used."

G

Esc4p3 12:42 05 Oct 09

Also the Samsung B series click here can play various formats from USB but has an Ethernet socket to connect to your network to stream content from your PC or networked hard drive (can also buy separate wireless adaptor).

Woolwell 13:29 05 Oct 09

I have a Samsung 6 series and in the manual it states that the Wiselink (the usb connection - why change the name?) will accept MP3 and JPEG format but that the file system must be FAT 16/32 and NTFS is not supported.

morris948 09:35 10 Oct 09

Thanks to all for the information.
I guess that manufacturers will soon add this ability to play AVI files to most Tv's USB port in the near future.

morris948 21:16 10 Oct 09

This TV seems to have the USB port available to play media files.click here
Just have to wait for release for sale.

Thanks

GaT7 21:27 10 Oct 09

Official specs click here, mention "File Type JPEG/MP3/DivX" under USB. G

steven605 07:20 19 Jan 10

<a href="click here">Convert to MKV</a> is a powerful MKV video converter and MKV file converter, that can help you convert videos to MKV files with fast speed and excellent output quality.
<a href="click here">Convert MKV to DVD</a>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5