LCD TV advice

Dellman 11:00 26 Jul 09

I am helping my dad to find a new LCD TV. His current set-up has satellite box and freeview box. His satellite system allows him to get French TV pro programmes. I understand that France broadcasts in SECAM (?). If so, what TV's should he be looking at and what kind of specification should it have to allow him to watch French TV in UK?

He currently has his eyes on:

Panasonic TX-L32X10 HD LCD TV

click here

This got a very good write up in Which as a Best Buy for about £370 at Richer Sounds.

Or the:

Sony KDL-32S5500

click here

I think the Sony is about £380.

Also what is the difference between Full HD and HD Ready???

dagnammit 11:13 26 Jul 09

.. HD Ready???

HD Ready is 720p / 1080i

Full HD is 1080p

Most HD signal is broadcast at HD Ready resolutions but games consoles and Bluray will output at 1080p.

Dellman 19:39 26 Jul 09

how significant is the difference in picture...bearing in mind my dad is not a gamer and does not currently own a Bluray player (and does not often watch films on his existing dvd player).

Also, anyone able to answer the question regarding SECAM?

5HAD0W 22:40 26 Jul 09

Here are some links on HD and Televisions in general, hopefully they wil be helpful:

[url]click here[/url]

[url]click here[/url]

Stuartli 22:55 26 Jul 09

The Panasonic TV you mention includes SECAM in the specifications:

click here

5HAD0W 23:05 26 Jul 09

btw, the sony mentions secam compatibility in your own link

Also, both of those sets have the same resolution of 1366x768, so 1080p wouldn't make a massive quality difference compared to 720p, 1080p would be downscaled and 720p upscaled.

Without a 1080p source such as games or blu-ray there will be little difference, I advise looking at the sets in person and looking up online reviews of the model numbers.

Based on brand alone I would go for the Panasonic, to make a nice sweeping judgement ;)

Dellman 23:14 26 Jul 09

hmm...interested by specs per Dealtime site, however, the Panasonic own site does not mention SECAM!!!!or is it that now we are all in EC/one market that all TVs must be able to operate in what ever country in Europe????

Stuartli 23:22 26 Jul 09

No, as sets are made specifically for the UK market due to our power supply specifications.

Stuartli 23:22 26 Jul 09

No, as sets are made specifically for the UK market due to our power supply specifications.

dagnammit 23:24 26 Jul 09

for £399 this is superb click here for spec sheet click here

Most TVs support all the standards.

dagnammit 23:25 26 Jul 09

Stuartli I was under the impression that the sets are all the same, across Europe, and the only difference is the power packs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…