lcd or plasma?

postie24 16:53 27 Nov 06

Hi,am thinking about buying a hd ready 42inch tv.Was thinking about this one click here or should i go for lcd.Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated,thanks postie

BigRik 17:15 27 Nov 06

click here for some differences between the two technologies.

chocolate cake 18:31 27 Nov 06

This was an interesting topic in June click here

postie24 19:47 27 Nov 06

Thanks for imput.Will leave open for any other comments

g0nvs 21:48 27 Nov 06

Panasonic plasma's are superb. Got one.

martd77 22:24 27 Nov 06

plasma tv is better quality in my opinion you will not go far wrong with the panasonic i have one but its the version before hd,watched planet earth last night and it was awesome on sd.
Watching live football is clean clear and colourful,my brother has a samsung 40"lcd hd and its bloody awful on live soccer footage its blurry,and the players leave smudgy trails when they run!
However watching a dvd is perfect,sometimes its the quality of the broadcast which can affect the picture.
this may help
click here?

LastChip 22:51 27 Nov 06

in this day and age of rising electricity costs, plasma's use significantly more power and run hotter.

Over the course of a year, that can add up.

Seadog 00:09 28 Nov 06

And don't forget that plasma has a limited life - only 4000 hours in some manufacturers quoted cases. There are only about 8000 hours in a year so that is only like six months continual use...............for the average family who has the tv on from 5pm to 11pm that works out as only four years running whereas an lcd screen will last longer. With the new upcoming lcd's (Sony Bravia to quote just one)the colour and response time are supposed to be superior to previous lcds and better than plasma.

Seadog 00:12 28 Nov 06

Sorry, that should read two years average use not four years - getting late now..........

martd77 11:20 28 Nov 06

er,my panasonic plasma quotes10hrs a day usage will give a lifespan of some seven years,considering its only used 4 hrs a day its even longer or considering its highly likely ill replace the tv within 5yrs anyway its a void statement.Plasma tv isnt like it used to be,technology has advanced a great deal.
Postie the only thing you have to consider is viewing distance viewing a large tv from 10ft plus is fine,any nearer and you will pick faults with the picture,you will see all the artifacts due to the screen size,its like magnifying a photo
have fun

Sic 11:27 28 Nov 06

It's not a 'void statement' its a cautionary note to check the specs of the tv to be purchased. If yours will run for 10hrs a day thats great, but your tv is not every tv on the market.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac